Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ly7 pre drama drama. Ask questions first, yell at bastard cars later, take a look tia

To convert or not

• Heeeelll nawww bruh

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bradbury wins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
First time poster here , been raiding through treads this afternoon no luck, still have to ask, basically I have a ly7 in my 2008 ute, today I removed the motor and trans, they are both rubbish, I have a replacement motor, ly7 but it is a manual, I have the ecu I don't have the loom for it, what do I expect from the electrical side, will I have to replace the whole loom with one from a manual? If I do, will I need the loom from a ute? When I change the ecu will it need to be programmed by Holden and what does this process involve, Do I expect electrical problems again when I remove the auto shifter console? Also what do I do with the radiator and the fluid routing, do I have to swap all that with manual components? This ute is special to me it's a 60th anniversary that I bought it from new, it hasn't been driven since it was freshly painted and stored two years ago, but I got her out and gave her a birthday, roof lining, lights, cat back, all suspension and brake components replaced, tell ya what! WOW
i could not believe the state of the internals of this motor! I ain't never seen oil do **** like that before... I'll post pic tomorrow anyway **** was crazy but yeah! No wonder the one of the timing chains snapped, so basically do I just send it and fight the bastard in there or do i get another auto motor? can I just get aonther trans for this motor and take the manual off it? Will it end up being just as easy to to LS? Thankyou so much if you've taken the time to read this I'd really appreciate your opinion

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just use the ECU/loom/gearbox that's already in the car.

Bradbury wins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Just use the ECU/loom/gearbox that's already in the car.
So the auto transmission that is in the car has done nearly half million ks and started randomly changing back gears and no top gear sometimes randomly I'd be doin 100kph then it would change to 2nd... ****, red line, panic, get confused and then change gear like ten times before it found one it liked.... So it's going yeah thanks for your input

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
First time poster here , been raiding through treads this afternoon no luck, still have to ask, basically I have a ly7 in my 2008 ute, today I removed the motor and trans, they are both rubbish, I have a replacement motor, ly7 but it is a manual, I have the ecu I don't have the loom for it, what do I expect from the electrical side, will I have to replace the whole loom with one from a manual? If I do, will I need the loom from a ute? When I change the ecu will it need to be programmed by Holden and what does this process involve, Do I expect electrical problems again when I remove the auto shifter console? Also what do I do with the radiator and the fluid routing, do I have to swap all that with manual components? This ute is special to me it's a 60th anniversary that I bought it from new, it hasn't been driven since it was freshly painted and stored two years ago, but I got her out and gave her a birthday, roof lining, lights, cat back, all suspension and brake components replaced, tell ya what! WOW i could not believe the state of the internals of this motor! I ain't never seen oil do **** like that before... I'll post pic tomorrow anyway **** was crazy but yeah! No wonder the one of the timing chains snapped, so basically do I just send it and fight the bastard in there or do i get another auto motor? can I just get aonther trans for this motor and take the manual off it? Will it end up being just as easy to to LS? Thankyou so much if you've taken the time to read this I'd really appreciate your opinion

1. Engines are identical between Auto and Manual, but the looms are different. It's no big deal to swap the looms across. There's no difference in the looms for the Sedans and Utes as the extra wheelbase that Caprices and Utes have is added after the driver's door. This is also why Caprice front door cards are cross-compatible with all VEs.
  2. If your Ute's an Automatic and you're swapping in a Manual Transmission (i.e, doing a Manual conversion), Yes, since your BCM needs to know that there's a new engine hooked up to it, and it no longer has to look for the TCM. If it's already got a manual, just swap in the engine. No ECU needed. If you plan on keeping the auto box, just keep the Auto loom intact and bolt your flex plate and torque converter to the manual engine. There's no differences in sensors between Auto and Manual engines, they just have either a flex plate (auto) or a Flywheel (manual) on it. My ute's current engine for example, comes out of an Auto Calais.
  3. Yeah, Alloytecs do that. unbalanced crankcase ventilation and oil vapor buildup in the heads is the common reason why these engines die/snap chains. Either put a bigger PCV on the Driver's side or replace the Passenger's side with the updated GM rocker cover gasket. Good excuse to give your six a rebuild too, before you drop it in.
  4. Is your Auto the 5spd? They're notorious for failure, Hydraulic vane pumps usually go in those. I blew two 5L40s because of that. I'd swap for the manual. You can usually find sellers on eBay selling entire conversion kits with everything you need to go manual. Loom, ECU, Clutch pedal and lines, Driveshaft, etc. The Driveshaft's going to be the hardest part to find, but luckily Manuals were more common in Utes, so you should be fine.