Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

/// M-Tech E39 540i

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
I think first steps are going to be getting the M Bumper repaired, i already have a quote from a mate of my dads so he's going to sort it out and repaint the trims colour coded to clean it up.

After that i will definitely be looking into headlights.
The genuine Sport bar for the non-M5 models has a "T" cross bar in the middle and doesn't look as good. (Probably BMW's way of differentiating the M5 slightly from the more pedestrian models so you couldn't option them with genuine M5 bits).
Replacement M5 copy style, (which is what your current one is) are available unpainted on the bay from as little as $300 upwards. Quality will vary though so it's a bit hit and miss.
If you can get it repaired cheaply, even better.

They are still one of the best looking sedans EVER in my eyes if done right.
I still miss mine. (But not the high maintenance costs that went with it.)

__1_0086.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
SchnitzerS5E39_SMarket002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
What did you find was so expensive about it with maintenance ?

From what I've seen parts are fairly affordable if you shop in the right places, also the information I've received from people like Hozy and Stig

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
What did you find was so expensive about it with maintenance ?

From what I've seen parts are fairly affordable if you shop in the right places, also the information I've received from people like Hozy and Stig

It wasn't only the cost of the parts, as you are right, many are very affordable if you shop in the right places, but the right places usually means overseas and delivery times meant waiting.
As I don't have the time anymore, (or the ability to do a lot of things myself), and as this was my daily driver, this wasn't an option and I often found myself paying local dealer prices just to get the car back on the road.
I was constantly forking out for something, and the car almost always had something going wrong with it.
It was frustrating that whenever I had got everything fixed and working properly, some other niggling issue popped up.
If I had room to keep it as a project car, I would have, as depreciation killed any value left when I traded it.
(Hell - I'd have kept everything I ever owned if the budget allowed!).
Don't let me put you off however.
If you are prepared to do some work yourself and hunt around for parts, they are a good drivers car, and with some effective mods, can be a great drivers car, and will definitely be a classic one day.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Car is in the shop today getting the trolley strips and Front bumper repaired and painted!

I'm currently on the hunt for some headlights (not sure if i'm going pre or facelift yet)

Also if one of the BMW boys can chime in DBA don't do rear rotors :/, was looking for slotted but can't seem to find anything else ?

Edit: Car is expected back by Friday, will post pics.

Also may be getting my hands on something to fix up the front a bit more!

Last edited:

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
So work has been delayed, still waiting to get it back from the paintshop.

expected today or tomorrow, also picked up some headlights :)

Keen to get her back the getz just doesn't make me smile!

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Added a wishlist to my first post, still waiting on paint shop

The front bar repair took a little longer than expected for the painter it's currently getting a lick of colour this afternoon so HOPEFULLY i can have it back before the weekend.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Even though your probably really wanting it back, Its probably better that they take their time and dont rush the job. That way there (hopefully) wont be any issues with paint and panel when you get it back...

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Yeah, they're taking their time, it's a mate of dads so it's kind of on the back burner if they get some other jobs that need quick doing.

he constantly does cars for motorvation and some of the perth guys that go to summernats so I should be fine with the result, Painted my gemini previously also :)

Just keen to get it back and start fixing up some more things....so many ebay orders.