Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

m22 gearbox

wal

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive v6/vc commodores
hi
will an m22 gearbox out of a 1tonner fit in my vc commodore.....its a red 2o2
and has a borgwarner 5speed in it.....tight on cash to fix five speed at the moment but can get a free m22 if it will fit..thanx wal

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
yes, it will fit, just need the aussie 4-speed bellhousing, tailshaft, x-member, speedo cable, clutch bits and shifter... fairly basic swap.
i had one in my torry, they're the same strenght as the m20, but 1st gear is a real low ratio...

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
if its the M22 i know of it should be a lot tougher than a M20/M21. I think Muchie(spelling?) is the maker so its one tough gearbox.

wal

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanx

it has the bellhousing shifter clutch fork and it is a muncie.....wil get it in just not looking forward to doing it this weekend lol...ps sle nut we went down to tassie early may..first time...beutiful place me dad moved to geeveston on 5 acres went to bream creek show and tahune air walk and fishing in the huon river gonna retire there in another 20years lol

wal

Reaction score
Members Ride
help

just pulled 5 speed out put m22 in spline at rear is bigger if i get a 1tonner tailshaft the universals are bigger will i have to change the diff:bang:
my mate had a vr commy tail shaft the spline fits length is ok but it too has larger universal i cant bolt to diff:bang:
stuck we thought maybe change the diff with a vr one if it will fit any help appreciated ..wal:bow:

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Woh there. It would be no good if you try to put the 1tonner tailshaft it will hit the floor, the Commodore are design for a 2 piece shaft.
Also the VR diff is a little to long too.

But there is a way of fixing this.
1. Try to source a VB-VK 308 tailshaft, this might have the right spline.
2. You may need to get a custom built shaft.

wal

Reaction score
Members Ride
cut a hole in the floor lol

ill have a look at a 308 tail shaft tommorow what about if i undo the centre nut on the diff where the rear uni bolts on can i change that. as the vr tail shaft will fit the rear just needs to hold a bigger uni....thanx for your help

wal

Reaction score
Members Ride
head ache

five speed getting repaired m22 taken out soar back .........other tail shafts at wreckers had big uni s also:mad:

wal

Reaction score
Members Ride
again

repaired 2nd gear in 5 speed put new rear seal in box put back in car :thumbsup: started car:ranting: bearing separated from clutch fork:embarrass pulled gearbox out may as well put new bearing in now
gearbox out
gearbox in
gearbox out
gearbox in
gearbox out for last time

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
If you want to fit the M22 again you need a tailshaft for an aussie 4 speed tailshaft, The M76 5 speed uses a smaller shaft and isnt suitable and the VN V6 & later shafts have bigger universals as you found out.

The splines are different on the salisbury diff yoke to the 78 series borgwarner diffs so you wont be able to change diff yokes/flanges.

I nearly put a M22 rock cruncher in my VK once but I got a good buy an an M20 instead. Is your M22 a Short or wide ratio box?

cheers
Scott