Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

M80 diff problems?going 1 day...needs rebuild the nxt?

Boostn10

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx r8 clubsport
I have a vx clubby.manual.So.a friend replaced pinion seal on my diff about 5000kms ago.he obviously over tightened pinion an I've had the pinion bearing noise for a while now...I finally decided 2 replace the bearing or spacer,so I pulled the diff an dropped it 2 a workshop...I check the oil an had a look inside,....no metal bits or anythang unusual but I get a fone call saying my diff need a rebuild...2500 please....now the diff was fine(except for the noisy bearing)an they are telling me its fukt????I'm suspicious bout the workshop just trying 2 make work...has any1 else had anything like this....the diff seemed all good,no Mark's on the teeth or anythanglike that....I really wana tell them 2 replace the bearings like I asked an put it back 2gether or do u think I could have an issue

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
2.5k is huge. I have imported a brand new Chrysler 8.25 full diff drum to drum for 2.5k and that was ex USA to Adelaide. Where are you located? There are cheaper blokes in Adelaide. Last diff I had rebuilt was 750 including a clutch pack and genuine bearing kit.

Last edited:

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Don’t ring them, just show up and ask for your diff. You may have to pay a labour charge for dismantling it, but you want to make sure you are getting YOUR diff back. Don’t give them the opportunity to screw you even further, they sound like rouges.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
2500 with trutrac rebuild kit and new diff gears

Can also confirm this price is accurate, at least for Aus.

Sounds like your mate just bolted it together and hasn't heard of backlash. What did they specifically say was wrong with it?