Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

M82 Gear box

Neil Murrell

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
My gear box recently died. I was told it was the torque converter so I would have to replace the gearbox. First I was quoted $3500 fitted with a warranty then a couple of hours later I was quoted between $4500 and $5500 because it was an M82 5sp box. Can someone please clarify for me if this is a good price as I think it is a bit high but am not 100% sure. Forgot to add that this is for a 2007 VE SV6 Commodore.

Any help appreciated.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The 5 speed gearboxes are getting uncommon, but not 5.5k supplied and fitted uncommon, could probably have it rebuilt for that price. Also, the torque converter can be replaced independent of the gearbox, so don't know their reasoning behind that.

Get some second opinions.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Search the wreckers,
and if need be, get it serviced before you install it.

Last edited:

Neil Murrell

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
The 5 speed gearboxes are getting uncommon, but not 5.5k supplied and fitted uncommon, could probably have it rebuilt for that price. Also, the torque converter can be replaced independent of the gearbox, so don't know their reasoning behind that.

Get some second opinions.
Thanks for your reply. I am now going to get a second opinion and will let you know the outcome.