Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE 25mm Manifold and CAI review + Video

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Hi guys,

Decided to voice my opinion on the Mace products I've just installed after hearing so much about them. The car is a VYII ecotec with a 2.5" manta exhaust run on 98 premium. Otherwise mechanically stock.

25mm Manifold Insulator:

Install:
I installed the 25mm manifold insulator first. The install was pretty straight forward with only looking over the instructions briefly once and working out the rest just by looking at it. It took a bit over an hour I would estimate but went exactly as planned. The only issues I encountered were getting leverage on the top manifold and holding it steady to install the extended fuel rail bolts. Lining up the insulator on re-installation - I found it required a bit of constant force to get it to sit in place as I installed a few bolts finger tight to hold it in position correctly - and finally extending the hose that runs underneath the manifold. This hose on mine was almost long enough stock and changing it to the extended gave me a bit too much hose. I managed to tuck it away neatly but could have just as easily trimmed the hose to make it the perfect length.

Results:
I did this install just before going away for the weekend up the coast so my first drive featured a decent amount of K's built up right away. Going around driving before the freeway felt a bit of low to mid range improvement. Felt like it wanted to climb revs easier. On the highway though is where I really noticed a significant improvement of overtaking power. Felt a decent increase in pull and freeway driving was much easier and comfortable having that extra oomph. No supercharger or V8 but a noticeable improvement nonetheless.
Fuel usage sat at around 7.5L/100kms which I was happy about considering it's normally around the high 8's to mid 9's.

Overall:
I am happy with this product and would recommend it. I felt like I got my money's worth. As long as you don't expect a new car feel, you should be happy with the results.

MACE Cold Air Intake:

Install:
This was a very quick and painless install taking around half an hour, again only briefly looking at the instructions. The only issues I faced were the Torx screws being larger than the sizes of torx screwdriver I have but I just used a flat blade screwdriver and it was fine. The air temp sensor clip was a pain to remove and an even bigger pain to re-install but nothing a bit of clever force couldn't get around. At first I didn't understand why the MAF had to be rotated and a bit cut out as per the instructions but when installing, it became obvious and super easy to do - loosen hose clamp, rotate to desired angle providing enough slack in wire, cut rubber boot with wire cutters (didn't have to mark or remove boot) and re-tighten hose clamp. Box installed like it was a factory item.

Results:
Haven't used it much as yet but the sound has instantly changed. The signifying induction hiss of a pod filter is now easily heard at revs below 3000 - above that the exhaust becomes too loud and drowns it out. Feels like it breaths a bit easier now and has a bit more power but again not a magic power device. Would I recommend it? Yes - purely for the sound. I went into buying it without expecting much performance increase but expecting an improved induction sound and that's exactly what I got. I feel it will help my fuel efficiency not just for it's breathing but for the fact I can't hear it with the engine revving too loud so my revs will be kept lower just to hear it.

Video Comparison:
Holden V6 MACE CAI Before and After - YouTube

Overall:
I'm happy with it. It has done exactly what I expected of it and I'm sure with a tune it will show it's true potential.

All in all I'm happy with my MACE products and plan to buy more in the future. Hope this review helps people in their research. =)

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Been thinking of getting the plenum And manifold spacers but just can't depart with 350 bucks for it.. Did you take the plenum off and give it a good clean while your that far into it?

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
You have to take the plenum off for installation anyway and was going to clean it but didn't have time. Mine wasn't that bad anyway. I would recommend cleaning it if you've got the time but wouldn't say that cleaning it would give much/any improvements - unless yours is particularly bad.