Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Cold Air Intake

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
i got a vs supercharge cai.. whats the difference? is it huge? give me advise please? should i change it

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Read the whole of this thread and your answer may magically appear !

Last edited:

MACE

Reaction score

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
first post here so sorry if i bugger it up lol.

anyway, ive installed a mace cai for my vr v6 almost a week ago now, and i have 2 say it has really made a difference.

it accelerates easier and faster, feels better, sounds way better from about 2,500 rpm onwards (redback cat back exhaust but in standard size i think), but for a basically standard car, it sounds really good now

the intake noise is certainly bearable, unnoticeable if u have the windows up, or the radio on, or r doing more than around 1,500 rpm,
but it sounds not so good in reverse or when u turn it off lol, really loud intake noise.

i think it is a bit expensive for what it is, but its pretty competitively priced in the market from what i have seen.

i kno u have the instructions on your site, but i felt u could have included a printed version, especially one with pics from the exact car its made for, and maybe added a fitment video on your site.

im going to seal the box a bit better also. it fits ok, but not perfectly, as the holes didn't line up until i started putting it all 2gether,
and the filter is pushing right up against the washer refill.

it is also marking the top radiator hose of whatever it is there, but it may be possible to shorten this hose which would fix this problem.

the lid of the washer bottle is really hard to open and close now, and i felt the holes for the screws on the top cover could have been further inwards
(just to make it look a bit neater, so its flush with the sides/rear), and the hole for the washer fluid could have been a bit more accurate.

the cover doesn't seem to fit under the front, or be flush with it which would make it look a bit better again, but as it is, it is a nice looking piece, much better than factory.

i think if u offered a choice of pod filter, whether u want printed instructions, or the option 2 buy 1 without for less it would increase sales

sorry for pointing out all those little faults, but it thought it might be good feedback.

all in all, i definitely would buy one again. they look good, work very well and and a good bang for buck modification.
the overall quality of parts and workmanship is really good, and they r a really good product, but could be even better with a few changes and some refinement.

before, with lid, and without lid pics
DSC00295.jpg

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00299.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

DSC00297.jpg

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
^^^^ I have one of these on my VR v6 and must say that it fits perfectly .... surely you do not need a video to show how to install this ... sounds like you have made a simple job difficult for yourself .... Anyway, it does work well doesnt it!

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
^^^^ I have one of these on my VR v6 and must say that it fits perfectly .... surely you do not need a video to show how to install this ... sounds like you have made a simple job difficult for yourself .... Anyway, it does work well doesnt it!

yeah, after a bit of fiddling it fits pretty well, but as the pics show it doesn't line up 100% perfectly, but im a bit of a perfectionist bout my car lol. the video was also to act as further info, advertising and is probably easier to make than pdf instructions anyway lol, but no ur right, its not needed specifically for this product just to intsall it, but for some of the other mace stuff it would b good, and yeah it does work well lol. my first real performance mod lol, feels good man

MACE

Reaction score
Hey F l a k,

Thanks for taking the time out to write up constructive feedback about the product :) I’m glad to hear that you’re happy overall with the product.

In regards to your feedback…

“i think it is a bit expensive for what it is, but its pretty competitively priced in the market from what i have seen.”

In regards to pricing its all relative I guess, as it depends on what you value. As there‘re cheaper CAI setups however they definitely don’t work as well (VS supercharged 6 CAI with a K&N filter come to mind). There’re even more expensive ones which still don’t work as well, are not a bolt on item (requires additional screws in the body work), are of a questionable quality, not to mention the “hidden charges” associated with their incomplete kits. At the end of the day though it all comes down to what people value etc. there is not such thing a single “best” solution for everyone

“i kno u have the instructions on your site, but i felt u could have included a printed version, especially one with pics from the exact car its made for, and maybe added a fitment video on your site.”

Fair point. Some of the instructions a very detailed and are over 30 pages, however this is certainly an opportunity for improvement on our end. They also lack detail for the later model cars with the washer bottle where it is, given the easy of fitment though it hasn’t been a high priority to update this, however your constructive feedback will prompt us to reevaluate this. Video of fitment of our products will certainly be the next step forward for future products. I’m saying this though we’re always a phone call or email away if people get stuck with product installation :)

In regards to product fitment, as pointed out, the lid does finally line everything up which is how it was designed to take into account the slight manufacturing variances that occurs with folded parts, automotive body work etc. As for the filter butting up against the filler tube, to simplify the overall installation process this is one area that we had to compromise on not that it’s a huge problem.

Assuming that the car has never been involved in accident before, it could probably do with some more tweaking on the mounting points as there are clearance holes in the box for adjustment (to take into account box and car dimensional variance). Or the bracket that supports the long black plastic tube can be bent downwards slightly. As for the rad hose it can be trimmed or if can just sit on top of the of the box

At the end of the day it should mount up something like this.
COLD AIR INTAKE TO SUIT HOLDEN VR-VS V6 - MACE ENGINEERING GROUP

If you still have any difficulties please feel free to contact us

Cheers
Steve

GMH95

Sorry I dont do Resprays
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S1 3.8l
i installed mine with no problems. only the pod filter was against the washer bottle but i just cut back some of the rubber off the filter and it fits perfect. best intake you can buy.

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Thanks Steve, its great 2 see a company so involved with its customers and the scene.

As for my post, i kinda just typed everything i thought of while researching, installing and using the cai.

I figured most people kno how good the product is, so u probably do too, so thats why i focused on areas that could be improved.
i dont feel anything at all has to be changed, but i thought that my feedback might be useful if u intend to further improve the product at some stage.

I did bend the bracket supporting the pipe from the cai to the throttle body as per the directions when i first installed it.

Also, my post was really an initial impression, as id had it for 3 or 4 days at that stage.

I forgot 2 say in the first post (really sorry lol), that the rubber/screw things that held the factory airbox to the body were kidna perished,
1 was really bad, and in the end my mates and i decided we had 2 just cut the rubber off (what was left anyway) so that the box sits flat and at the correct height, only without the screw.
This could be part of why it isn't 100% perfectly fitted (not that i expect it to be), so its kind of my fault there lol, but the holes did line up exactly.

At a later stage i'll just put a spot of weld there and a nut or something, so i can just turn it out easily (i hope).

The car has never been in a accident btw.

Also, im not pretending 2 be a mechanic or anything, i have a decent theoretical knowledge, but pretty much no practical experience working on cars, so thats a pretty good ad for it lol, if i can fit it without 2 many problems, most people should b able 2 as well

As for performance, it is really good (tho i cant really compare it to other products), but im noticing more benefits the more i drive it.

I really recommended it, and if i was 2 go back in time, i wouldn't hesitate 2 buy it again, actually i would buy it sooner

I have 3 questions tho:
1 - to trim the radiator hose, do i just work out how much 2 take off, clamp it and cut it (or im i going 2 get coolant everywhere lol)?
2 - do i have 2 be more carefull at the car wash (as in will water get in there and damage it if im using the high pressure hose on the front of the car)
3 - am i supposed to have a slightly higher temperature on the gauge (around 1 notch)?