Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Cold Air Intake

MACE

Reaction score
“Thanks Steve, its great 2 see a company so involved with its customers and the scene.”
Ah it’s all part of the fun I guess :)

“I figured most people kno how good the product is, so u probably do too, so thats why i focused on areas that could be improved.
i dont feel anything at all has to be changed, but i thought that my feedback might be useful if u intend to further improve the product at some stage.”

Constructive feedback, good or bad, is always welcomed, for the reasons you pointed out plus to be able to further assist customers with similar products

“I forgot 2 say in the first post (really sorry lol), that the rubber/screw things that held the factory airbox to the body were kidna perished,
1 was really bad, and in the end my mates and i decided we had 2 just cut the rubber off (what was left anyway) so that the box sits flat and at the correct height, only without the screw.
This could be part of why it isn't 100% perfectly fitted (not that i expect it to be), so its kind of my fault there lol, but the holes did line up exactly.”

Ah I see. Angularity of the box is very important for fitment quailty, it’s for the reason the box is rigidly mount (removal of the rubber bushes) as fitment quality across vehicles were inconsistent :( more so with the VR-VS given the tight space. As a result I could be contributing to what you’ve experienced.

“At a later stage i'll just put a spot of weld there and a nut or something, so i can just turn it out easily (i hope).”
If you use a vise grip from under the car on the protruding screw from the body work you’ll be able to extract it. In saying this though it would be a good idea to first use WD40 to loosen the screw/stud regardless.

“The car has never been in a accident btw.”
I wish I could say the same about my VS though :(

“Also, im not pretending 2 be a mechanic or anything, i have a decent theoretical knowledge, but pretty much no practical experience working on cars, so that’s a pretty good ad for it lol, if i can fit it without 2 many problems, most people should b able 2 as well”
I’m glad to hear :) I say this because with a lot of the products we’ve developed the design intent is such that any one with limited hands on experience can comfortably install our products.

“As for performance, it is really good (tho i cant really compare it to other products), but im noticing more benefits the more i drive it.

I really recommended it, and if i was 2 go back in time, i wouldn't hesitate 2 buy it again, actually i would buy it sooner”

Glad to hear :)

“I have 3 questions tho:
1 - to trim the radiator hose, do i just work out how much 2 take off, clamp it and cut it (or im i going 2 get coolant everywhere lol)?”

If the car is stone cold you should have minimal coolant leakage. When cutting the hose err on the longer side, as it’s easier to shorten the hose then it is to make it longer even if it takes a couple of goes

“2 - do i have 2 be more carefull at the car wash (as in will water get in there and damage it if im using the high pressure hose on the front of the car)”
No not really. This is because I’ve left the bonnet open on my car in the rain once as I wanted to clean my engine bay (joke I just forgot to close it lol) and water had pooled up everywhere including the airbox, which wasn’t a problem. Not only then we’ve also used the air box as part of a humidification chamber for water injection without any problems. At the end of the day as long as you’re not directing the high pressure water gun at the filter directly then if will be fine.

“3 - am i supposed to have a slightly higher temperature on the gauge (around 1 notch)?”
It shouldn’t change. I’m not sure how that would be possible to be honest, if nothing else has changed(? )

Cheers
Steve

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Thanks again for the response (sorry for all the questions)
I'll have a go with some vice grips under the car (as soon as i buy some haha) to get that screw
and as for the temperature, i thought as cold air is more dense that hot air it may have produced a stronger explosion meaning more temperature,
then again maybe (as friends have noticed) i just enjoy driving the car 2 much, and go a bit harder than i used 2 because it feels and sounds so much better lol
Thanks again Steve, i really appreciate it

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
good write up flak, ya pointed out some good ideas!.. the thing i liked about mace's instructions is that he explained 'everything'. Which bolt to undo and in which order pretty much, i thought they were good photos of everything, (most tutorials never even have that!) .. i dunno about the whole video idea, maybe if its something pretty complex like a cam change or fitting up a turbo, then this could come in handy, a step by step on paper probably isn't really needed if its already on their website, (paper costs and ink come into mind)..
But yeah i had a problem with numbers when i changed my rockers to the mace ones, i just have steve a ring and he helped me out right on the spot.. I thought it was awesome lol

Only thing i can really think that could improve with the VY intakes is maybe by making the hole where the air tube sits inside the air box a tad smaller, as when i go over pretty extreme bumps i can hear the filter smacking around, so maybe some kind of bracket to hold the duct tube to the airbox?.. and another thing i can think of but i dunno how it could really be avoided, is that with this CAI installed the MAF sensor now rests onto the Air conditioner hose, and im noticing that the MAF sensor is slowly cutting away at the hose with it moving around, not sure how it could be fixed though lol, ive hust got a piece of cardboard wedged in between and its working so far lol..

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
good write up flak
thanks a1k3m1. yeah i was just throwing around some ideas.
while i had a similar concern about the filter moving around in the box, i haven't noticed any banging or signs of excessive movement yet, and some of the roads at my uni are really, really horrible lol, but i have a standard height suspension set up (new pedders gas shocks, but standard specs)

the only problem i can see with making the hole smaller, is that it gives a little less flexibility in allowing for the best fitment to your car (im assuming there will be slight differences), and it may be slightly harder 2 install, especially as the filter seems to sit up against the washer bottle in at least the vr, but im not sure about the vy

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Been tosing up a CAI, I have VCM Suite so I understand IAT Temps/Maf G's and how it all works etc........

SS Inductions, VCM Suite or Mace CAI? Big Descision.

MACE: Con's.......... Pod is too small, you should work on replacing the VZ Stock TB to MAF Pipe for us all *please* find a way to do that...... Then it'll be worth buying.
Bigger Filter, Bigger Box, Bigger TB to MAF Pipe....... = WIN. Your pod is in my opinion probably slightly too small for these alloytech's

SS Inductions Price. Pod possibly wouldn't get enough air in design compared to Mace's. Does look awesome, comes with replacement panel, makes u feel like you paid good money to get something decent. Good Reviews.

VCM Suite CAI Bit simple,but has a big pod filter..... bigger usually leans towards more torque

Last edited:

MACE

Reaction score
Our take on the respective VZ V6 alloytec CAI’s on the market.

MACE
“Pod is too small”
The pod filter we use in the VZ alloytec is the same as the ones we supply on our 5L 5.7L and Supercharged 6 kits, which has worked quite well on engines (as noted by the feedback alone in this thread) which are of an even larger capacity then the alloytec.

“you should work on replacing the VZ Stock TB to MAF Pipe for us all *please* find a way to do that”
No real need as the factory “exec” spec induction pipe works quite well as it’s made out of plastic and is smooth flowing (unlike the more up market models which have a resonance pipe built in). At around $50 a pop from Holden it would be hard for us to justify making something up like that from scratch.

Also with our airbox kit the price is around half the price of that of any other competitors on the market, with performance as goof if not better then anything else mentioned.

SS Inductions
“Price”
That is subjective I guess as some people enhance their vehicles for not only performance but also aesthetics and in some cases value aesthetics over performance. Not that ours look bad though :p

“Pod possibly wouldn't get enough air in design compared to Mace's”
I would be inclined to agree

“Comes with replacement panel, makes u feel like you paid good money to get something decent. Good Reviews”
Ours also come with a replacement/rewashable pod filter. One thing to be wary of vacuum formed plastics/cai (like the ssinductions products) is that as some sections of the plastic part can be very thin. Of which they’re prone to cracking as I’m sure some members who have similar such products can attest to.

This differs from ours as ours are made using a different manufacturing process and of a better quality material. It’s for this reason where able to offer a life time warranty on our air boxes. Not only this ours is a genuine bolt on item with no need for self tapping screws into the body work etc. so it’s completely reversible mod

VCM Suite
I haven’t seen the alloytec VCM suite one in person so I can’t comment.

MACE

Reaction score
good write up flak, ya pointed out some good ideas!.. the thing i liked about mace's instructions is that he explained 'everything'. Which bolt to undo and in which order pretty much, i thought they were good photos of everything, (most tutorials never even have that!) .. i dunno about the whole video idea, maybe if its something pretty complex like a cam change or fitting up a turbo, then this could come in handy, a step by step on paper probably isn't really needed if its already on their website, (paper costs and ink come into mind)..
But yeah i had a problem with numbers when i changed my rockers to the mace ones, i just have steve a ring and he helped me out right on the spot.. I thought it was awesome lol

Only thing i can really think that could improve with the VY intakes is maybe by making the hole where the air tube sits inside the air box a tad smaller, as when i go over pretty extreme bumps i can hear the filter smacking around, so maybe some kind of bracket to hold the duct tube to the airbox?.. and another thing i can think of but i dunno how it could really be avoided, is that with this CAI installed the MAF sensor now rests onto the Air conditioner hose, and im noticing that the MAF sensor is slowly cutting away at the hose with it moving around, not sure how it could be fixed though lol, ive hust got a piece of cardboard wedged in between and its working so far lol..

Cheers for the constructive feedback a1k3m1 :)

In regards to your concerns about the air box the hole is a little larger then the supplied pipe work as we’ll be offering upgraded pipe work in the not to distant future. As for the MAF rubbing on the aircon line the, MAF needs to be rotated by 90 degrees so it doesn’t rub. Hope this helps

Cheers
Steve

MACE

Reaction score
Thanks again for the response (sorry for all the questions)
I'll have a go with some vice grips under the car (as soon as i buy some haha) to get that screw
and as for the temperature, i thought as cold air is more dense that hot air it may have produced a stronger explosion meaning more temperature,
then again maybe (as friends have noticed) i just enjoy driving the car 2 much, and go a bit harder than i used 2 because it feels and sounds so much better lol
Thanks again Steve, i really appreciate it

I would be more inclined to believe it's the latter :p

Cheers
Steve

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
Cheers for the constructive feedback a1k3m1 :)

In regards to your concerns about the air box the hole is a little larger then the supplied pipe work as we’ll be offering upgraded pipe work in the not to distant future. As for the MAF rubbing on the aircon line the, MAF needs to be rotated by 90 degrees so it doesn’t rub. Hope this helps

Cheers
Steve

Ahh okay awesome, now i understand heh, yeh i was thinking about rotating the MAF around, but i wasn't sure if it had to be on a certain way, but anyways ill do that .. thanks!!!

Mayte123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Sorry to ask the same question again as others may have, but
What is the economy increase with the VT CAI system? are there any numbers of more economy?
Also are there discounts for JC members by any chance?? :)
I'm looking to get more economy more than anything, as a poor uni student i love my car but petrol these days to say the least costs some stupid amount to fill a 75 liter tank :(

Jason