Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Cold Air Intake

Toms 50th Ani

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VT executive 50th Aniversary
This cirtantly sounds the goods from the feedback so I'll pick one up when I can :)

I'm running the VT V6 with the SS CAI into the stock box with a K&N, got pacies and a 2.5 exhaust too. How will installing a port/polished 69mm throttlebody go with this setup including the mace CAI and Pod?

cheers
tom

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Much better throttle response and with a decent exhaust sound maybe sound a bit better idk. As i haven't got one of the port/polished 69mm throttlebody or the mace cai yet so can't really give you a honest opinion

Cutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman Supercharged
I'm interested in one of these too, currently running the S/C V6 intake as it came standard. I agree with what people have said previously, this inlet does get very hot even just after a short drive.
Where does the air come in to feed the pod, is it just whatever can get through the gaps in that front headlight assembly? Or have people been able to force more air in another way.

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Yeah the stock otr cai's are a heatsoak nightmare when the car isn't moving eg at traffic lights or idling :bang:

MACE

Reaction score
This cirtantly sounds the goods from the feedback so I'll pick one up when I can :)

I'm running the VT V6 with the SS CAI into the stock box with a K&N, got pacies and a 2.5 exhaust too. How will installing a port/polished 69mm throttlebody go with this setup including the mace CAI and Pod?

cheers
tom

It will certainly allow the engine to breathe much more freely, translating into some noticeable gains in addition to sharper throttle response.

I'm interested in one of these too, currently running the S/C V6 intake as it came standard. I agree with what people have said previously, this inlet does get very hot even just after a short drive.
Where does the air come in to feed the pod, is it just whatever can get through the gaps in that front headlight assembly? Or have people been able to force more air in another way.

Hey Cutty,

Tsunamix has summed it up well as to the workings of our box :)

What the box does, is focus the cold air draw from around the head light mounting.

I've been working on this idea myself, and have bought a box from MACE to play with.

See the first part of it goes like this :-

When your car is moving, cold air comes in through the grille. Then it tends to back up at the radiator, which is a restriction to air flow. This builds a high pressure area right in from of the radiator. This high pressure area acts a bit like a cushion and pushes air over the radiator, left and right of the radiator, and below.

These areas coincide with the common placings of cold air intakes. OTRCAI obvioulsy, but air pushed left and right, into the headlight surrounds is also a high pressure area. This is right where the MACE box collects air from.

My thoughts run like this. If i can find a little bit of spare metal in the headlight surround, I can cut a vent in it (you know - drill 2 holes, then slot out in between - bend the flap forward to form a scoop) and the high pressure air willbe right in the damn cold air box.

I will probably be using some Single sided foam tape to seal between the box and the body as well.

Having positive air pressure at the MAF could be interesting EH ?

Photos will follow, when the kit rocks up. Probably today.

Cheers

(oh by the way - High is a relative term. Take it as meaning higher than the static air pressure away from the car)

In saying this though you can always tweak the box if you wanted by cutting up your body work are running a down pipe style of intake etc. Though, understandably, not many people choose to go down that path as it’s not an easily reversible one.

Cheers
Steve :)

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Just curious has anyone logged a run before changing the stock box/filter and after to confirm that these things actually work?

As in draw more air in, and actually keep the inlet cooler?......

eg. Do a VCM Scanner run with VCM Suite.

Cutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman Supercharged
Thanks Steve, I will have a poke around the CAI area and see what I can find to allow a bit more air in. I know exactly what you mean by running a pipe down as a forced intake, I did it on a VL years ago; worked a treat but am reluctant to do anything like that to this car.
Once I save up a few pennies it will be my next purchase.
Cheers.

MACE

Reaction score
Just curious has anyone logged a run before changing the stock box/filter and after to confirm that these things actually work?

As in draw more air in, and actually keep the inlet cooler?......

eg. Do a VCM Scanner run with VCM Suite.

Not on a VZ, but immortalty has on his VS using EFILive as shown in the link below

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/1374111-post42.html

Bare in mind that the factory VZ airbox is much worse then a factory supercharged 6 cai/airbox so I'm very confident that the gains would be even greater then that on a VZ :)

MACE

Reaction score
Thanks Steve, I will have a poke around the CAI area and see what I can find to allow a bit more air in. I know exactly what you mean by running a pipe down as a forced intake, I did it on a VL years ago; worked a treat but am reluctant to do anything like that to this car.
Once I save up a few pennies it will be my next purchase.
Cheers.

Completely understandable as I have the same car myself :D