Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mace Engineering VU Commodore Tune Review

Liam Whelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU Commodore Ute 3.8l V6 Auto
This afternoon I completed the installation of the re tuned PCM and 69mm throttle body on my 3.8l Ecotec V6.
Swapped over the ICV and EGR valves. Cleaned all the crud out of the intake area behind the throttle body.
Absolutely wrapped with the results.
Only went for a quick blatt around the block to make sure nothing was broken and there were no warning lights.
The crispness of the throttle response, idle and transmission changes have transformed the engine in my little ute.
Super happy with this combination.
Mace Engineering Retuned PCM
Mace Engineering 69mm throttle body
Pacemaker headers and high flow Cat into 2 1/2" single system
New NGK plugs and leads
New Ryco O2 foam air filter

Attachments

• IMG_2729.JPG
    IMG_2729.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 340

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
This afternoon I completed the installation of the re tuned PCM and 69mm throttle body on my 3.8l Ecotec V6.
Swapped over the ICV and EGR valves. Cleaned all the crud out of the intake area behind the throttle body.
Absolutely wrapped with the results.
Only went for a quick blatt around the block to make sure nothing was broken and there were no warning lights.
The crispness of the throttle response, idle and transmission changes have transformed the engine in my little ute.
Super happy with this combination.
Mace Engineering Retuned PCM
Mace Engineering 69mm throttle body
Pacemaker headers and high flow Cat into 2 1/2" single system
New NGK plugs and leads
New Ryco O2 foam air filter

Just curious, whats the damage $ for the mace kit. Whats in the kit and how long did it take for your memcal return and what mods to memcal ?

Liam Whelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
The retuned PCM was $280.00 and if you return your original you get a $50 refund.
I didn't worry about this yet, because I wanted to keep the OEM PCM as a spare.

The 69mm throttle body was $220.00. Just had to reinstall the ICV and EGV off the original throttle body.

After I completed the custom tune form, the retuned PCM was shipped out about 7-10 days later.
Bit of a delay with the throttle body, but no big deal.

As for changes, well that would have to be a question to Mace Engineering.
I do know that the new throttle body upsets the shift points in the automatic transmission, so there are some changes there.

The PCM in these vehicles has pretty much every sensor coming back to it. I know that the throttle response now it immediate.
The engine is crisp. Only running it on 95 RON now.

I used to race motorcycles so I looked at this exercise a bit like putting a Dynojet Power Commander on my bike.
Ignition timing and fuel maps get changed.

I'm pretty happy with the results from this little package from Mace Engineering.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
thankz for that, yep these 6's definitely need a bit more ummmp without going overboard, they are a bit sluggish with all the crap on them especially in winter with the added moisture in air.
I used to ride my road bike to work but to scary in winter situations in hills, my ute is at least fun to drive over a sedan.

Liam Whelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
I haven't stuffed around with a car for a while Vin. I am very fortunate about the circumstances that lead me to own this ute.
I've been doing a little bit of reading and I am quite impressed with this little engine.
Roller lifters. Balance shaft. Decent mains caps on the crankshaft.
Unless you have an exhaust already installed, I don't think you will see the full gains from this Mace package.

I'm very impressed with the changes that it has made.
I am already planning on installing the 1.9:1 rocker arms, along with new pushrods and lifters. Either that or a cam.
The rocker arm change wont require another retune.
I suspect that the cam change would because there is a cam position sensor in the engine and the PCM is expecting standard valve timing.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I agree liam, nice lil mods to help engine breathe plus the exhaust you mentioned. good lil engine considering its a V6, just detuned by gm to not break anything

Liam Whelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
They made 190kW out of the VZ SV6 with the 3.6l engine, so I guess a few more changes and we will be around there.
Or I buy my bike back from the dealership...