Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mace memcal for vs pros cons

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
hey has anyone got a mace enginering memcal in teh vs commodore v6?

wanting to get one but just want peoples feedback

greenfoams tune dnt like me vs lol waiting to see wen delcowizzard can do one but wanting to experiment with different ones

sooo yeh r they any good?

cars a VS commodore 1996 series 2 with 141 000 on the clock

i got:
-CAI
-high flow filter
-pacemaker extractors
-2 and half inch exhaust
-plenum spacer
-corvette servo
-soon to be stage 2 shift kit

later down the rack i want to get high ratio rockers

`thanks

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
What exactly was wrong with foams tune mate?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
kept pinging, hes tunes are really good but my car is just retarded lol (few mates have his tune and no problems)

i changed plugs to cooler ones fuel fiter used high octane fuel sent it back a few times, i gave up in the end lol, im in no way saying foamys tunes are crap or bad, thre really good tunes but it jist wasnt right for my vs, could be somthing else wrong with me car dunno.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Maybe theres something wrong with the memcal itself,it does happen from time to time,I do my own tunes for my VSV6 ,and Ive got the timing wound up a fair way compared to standard,and it still doesnt detect ping or knock unless its flat to the floor in a higher gear etc,when its freely reving through the gears theres bugger all pinging or knock detected.And when it does detect a certain amount of knock via the knock sensors,the ECU will instantly read from a different timing table called the low octane timing table, which obviously has lower timing values than the high octane or normal timing map.If you can actually hear the engine pinging/knocking,then theres something very wrong.The knock sensors should detect the knock or pinging, and deal with it instantly via the ECU, long before the pinging would usually be heard..Also maybe the knock sensors are not working properly.They screw into the water jackets on each side of the block,so it might need a good flush out too as it can fill up with mud and crap.They definitely would be worth checking if you have this problem happen again once another memcal is fitted.

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Are you sure it's pinging? What sort of fuel are you running?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe theres something wrong with the memcal itself,it does happen from time to time,I do my own tunes for my VSV6 ,and Ive got the timing wound up a fair way compared to standard,and it still doesnt detect ping or knock unless its flat to the floor in a higher gear etc,when its freely reving through the gears theres bugger all pinging or knock detected.And when it does detect a certain amount of knock via the knock sensors,the ECU will instantly read from a different timing table called the low octane timing table, which obviously has lower timing values than the high octane or normal timing map.If you can actually hear the engine pinging/knocking,then theres something very wrong.The knock sensors should detect the knock or pinging, and deal with it instantly via the ECU, long before the pinging would usually be heard..Also maybe the knock sensors are not working properly.They screw into the water jackets on each side of the block,so it might need a good flush out too as it can fill up with mud and crap.They definitely would be worth checking if you have this problem happen again once another memcal is fitted.

cheers for that, will have to check that, its been over a year since i got the tune from grrenfoam lol but useing stock memcal atm. yeh he said the same about it should detect the ping and adjust biut it never did, it pinged around the 2500-3000rpm mark pretty bad (sounded extreamly bad)

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you sure it's pinging? What sort of fuel are you running?

yep definally pinged, tried runing it down as much on fuel as i could (like 5 litres left) then filled up with 98 from caltex, that didnt work so straight after that tank i filled up with BP ultimate and still teh same

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
do you have a k&n type oiled filter on the intake? give your MAF a good clean. if it is dirty it doesn't read right, a tune with some extra timing in it may very well make it ping.

a vacuum leak through the climate air system can stuff up the tune as well

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
What spacer is it? Depending on what's being changed in the tune it can upset the fuel trims quiet a bit. I have been working on a tune for this myself of late. Could give you one to try if your interested.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I have had both greenfoam and mace's memcals and loved them both.
Maces feels a bit more refined, whereas greenfoams was quicker 0-100.