Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mace MLS Head Gasket size for Holden VT L67 3800?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I believe .063" is stock so using the .051" will see a slight increase in CR.

MACE

Reaction score
Hi VT CAL INT,

Thanks for your enquiry.

To build on immortality's answer, stock ecotec L67s run a head gasket thickness of approximately .062 thou. Running a thicker gasket will decrease compression, while running a thinner gasket will increase compression. For every .006" change in gasket thickness you will add or subtract approx .1 points of compression.

Hope this helps.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Kindest Regards,
Steve

VT CAL INT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Thanks Steve,
- so a decrease in gasket thickness (going the 0.051 inch gasket) will increase combustion pressure, and if going the 0.063 inch gasket will keep it around stock (maybe decrease pressure by the slightest).

This is probably a stupid question to most, but, which one is better? when should I pick the thinner gasket over the thicker? any performance gains?? do I choose based on what mods i've got?

Thanks
Matt

MACE

Reaction score
Thanks Steve,
- so a decrease in gasket thickness (going the 0.051 inch gasket) will increase combustion pressure, and if going the 0.063 inch gasket will keep it around stock (maybe decrease pressure by the slightest).
Correct.

This is probably a stupid question to most, but, which one is better? when should I pick the thinner gasket over the thicker? any performance gains?? do I choose based on what mods i've got?
To keep things simple, stick with the stock thickness gasket. While the thinner gasket will make more power, it will increase the likelihood of the engine pinging. Therefore you need to have a good understanding of your current application and requirements etc.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Kindest Regards,
Steve

whipple v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu v6 ute