Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Products with LPG/Dual Fuel

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Hey Steve (And for any LPG users out there)

Just wanted to know how compatible your Ecotec bolt on mods are with an air mixer LPG/Dual Fuel system...

Is there anything that might need to be changed/taken into consideration when applying mods such as

1. Plenum Spacer
  2. CAI Manifold Insulator
  3. 69m Throttle Body
  4. Larger MAF
etc etc etc

Cheers

MACE

Reaction score
Hey HamaTime,

All of our mods are compatible with LPG. The only real concern I have with LPG are inlet backfires as in extreme cases that can even blow up plenum lids! So I wouldn't recommend running a plenum spacer if your experience inlet backfires on a consistent basis. An excellent mod to start off with on an LPG vehicle install a manifold insulator as this will noticeably improve low end driveablity some of which would have been lost with the extra weight of the gas system.

Cheers
Steve

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Ah ok I thought that could be the case.

My car rarely ever backfires, probably twice in the last year or so that I've owned it and it being on gas. The last instance was merely due to a loose air hose (connecting under the throttle body to behind the engine - pipe runs between the heads, under the plenum) and the backfire blew the hose off...

So I would be safe to assume that it would be safe to run a Plenum spacer, paired with a CAI manifold insulator?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Do u still recommend the tune for lpg when using the manifold insulator ?

MACE

Reaction score
Do u still recommend the tune for lpg when using the manifold insulator ?

It's not a bad idea to get air fuel ratios looked at with any mod petrol or LPG. I use to mention the fact that it may pay to have your LPG tune looked at because inconsistency between quality to crap installs. However given that LPG is more tolerant to knock then petrol is (higher octane rating) it would also be more forgiving if it were to run on the leaner side.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Yeah, isnt running rich, lpg's version of petrol running lean ?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Well in my experience with LPG, you need to be very careful with your mods, because each one mucks up the Air/fuel mixtures so...make sure you know what you are doing.

MACE

Reaction score
Well in my experience with LPG, you need to be very careful with your mods, because each one mucks up the Air/fuel mixtures so...make sure you know what you are doing.

Depending on the LPG system this may be true. Fortunately though the vast majority of the LPG systems that have been installed on cars are even easier to tune then carbies as they only have a single screw for mixture adjustment. This is for systems that run a venturi type mixer.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Depending on the LPG system this may be true. Fortunately though the vast majority of the LPG systems that have been installed on cars are even easier to tune then carbies as they only have a single screw for mixture adjustment. This is for systems that run a venturi type mixer.

Exactly right. I have the air mixer system which as previously said is similar to a carby system. And it is fairly simple to change the mixtures which is a definate advantage.