Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mace Spacer and CPR6 Manifold Review

sukhoi27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Colorado RC 3.6l V6
Hello gents and ladies, been a lurker on this forum for a while, with this being my first post.

As title says, I took the plunge and bought myself the 25mm mace manifold spacer along with the CPR 6 manifold for my alloytec donk.

Now before going any further, I need to clarify a few things. My vehicle is not a commodore or Calais.

It's infact a 2010 Holden Colorado RC 3.6l ute. (Picture Attached). These came in 3 versions. 2 diesels and one petrol. The petrol version came equipped with the 3.6l alloytec engine.

It's the same engine found in the commodore. Only difference is that it lacks VVTI and it's also detuned to create less power and more torque to pull the ute.

Engine power is capped at a regrettable 157KW for the colorado ute version. This is a shame really, considering that the base alloytec in the commodore is built to produce 175KW at a minimum.

Anyway for a large heavy, ute, it's still got a kick to it. PS it was meant to be a work vehicle as opposed to a passenger car.

Now a few more things. I moded my exhaust system and made it dual all the way from the manifold down to the back. That is to say, the only thing left stock in the exhaust system are the manifolds.

The exhaust mods are as follows;
  1. 2.5 inch dual magnaflow pipes. One from each bank
  2. Dual high flow cats
  3. Dual resonators.
  4. Dual redback mufflers. Got them as large as they come to minimise droning at cruise speed.
  5. New pre-cat o2 sensors.
I also had my engine completely rebuilt at 172 000km. I mean new cranks, big ends, rods, chains etc.Why was this done?? you may ask.

Well, long story, One Saturday afternoon, I was changing plugs and decided to get one of those snake cams to take a peek inside the cylinders.

I was curious and the best time to satisfy the curiosity was when the plugs were out. Anyway, long story short, the head of the cam broke off and fell right inside one of the cylinders. Tried to get it out but to no avail.

So, heads had to come off. So I figured for the cost, I might as well replace everything there is to replace, while the heads were off. So a simple plug change, became a full on engine rebuild job.

Needless to say I learnt my lesson about not trying to unnecessary peek into the spark plug holes.

Now, to the manifold spacer and the CPR6 review.

After reading a few reviews, I decided to order the 25mm spacer and the CPR 6 at the same time.

Installation was a bit of a breeze really, as the engine compartment in my vehicle is fairly large, hence lots of space to manoeuvre and easier to get hard to reach spots. A few challenges but largely straightforward.

As far as tools, all I needed was a torque wrench and a socket spanner set.

Took me about 45 min to an hour to add the spacer and switch the manifold over to CPR6. I had estimated 30 min..haha..

What I learnt working on cars is that a job that looks simple in theory is not as straight forward in practice, hence to allow for much more time to manage expectations.

Anyway, fitment went ok. Obviously accompanied by a healthy dose of swear words, given it was a hot summer's evening and the mosquitoes were hot on my case.

On to the test run. I fired up the engine and straight away noticed the difference in exhaust sound/note. The exhaust sounded somewhat more beefy or meaty at idle. Also had a dip crackle on start up.

I hopped into the car and headed for the on ramp to the M4. ( I live in Penrith, Sydney). Well I noticed a significant increase in torque. Felt like the car pulled much more smoothly and effortlessly with lower revs.

Anyway, as I approached the on ramp, I rev matched and swiftly down shifted to second. I do this out if habit when I'm preparing to take off. Yes, I do this on this large heavy ute. Sounds crazy but it's fun..lol. These alloytecs like screaming.

Anyway back to the on ramp approach. It's a rather steep and hilly approach. So you need the climbing power.

So, I downshift to second and the revs jump to around 3500 rpm. I then proceed to give it a boot while still sitting in second gear.

Revs quickly climb to 4000-5000 rpm. It's here that the magic happened. There was a sudden pull, much stronger than I'd experienced in this vehicle before.

The pull continued almost effortlessly up to the redline (6500 rpm), before the fuel supply cut off (rev limiter) and I had to then shift to third. Keep in mind that I was already approaching 100km/hr while still on second.

I suspect if this engine didn't have a rev limiter, it could have continued to rev all the way to say 8000 rpm whilst still delivering good power.

Now, I had reviews about the CPR6 benefits being realised at higher revs and I gues this is what was happening in my case.

Anyway I soon hit 120km/h and decided to let off on the accelerator, keep within the speed limits and being a good law abiding citizen.

As I'm cruising, I notice that on ascending sections of the highway, I no longer have to downshift to fourth to maintain momentum, like I previously used to.

The engine still pulls effortlessly in 5th gear while going uphill at 110km/hr. Anyway, I still end up downshifting coz I'm paranoid about engine labouring.

Anyway, I drive for another 20 min before turning around and heading back on home, with a big smile on my face, as if I've just received the best root of my life

In conclusion, money spent on the CPR6 and the mace spacer was money well spent according to my books. Others may beg to differ but each to their own.
20211003_185204.jpg

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Now a few more things. I moded my exhaust system and made it dual all the way from the manifold down to the back. That is to say, the only thing left stock in the exhaust system are the manifolds.

The exhaust mods are as follows;
  1. 2.5 inch dual magnaflow pipes. One from each bank
  2. Dual high flow cats
  3. Dual resonators.
  4. Dual redback mufflers. Got them as large as they come to minimise droning at cruise speed.
  5. New pre-cat o2 sensors.

On to the test run. I fired up the engine and straight away noticed the difference in exhaust sound/note. The exhaust sounded somewhat more beefy or meaty at idle. Also had a dip crackle on start up.
Just to clarify, did you drive/start the vehicle between fitting the exhaust modifications and fitting the manifold/spacer or were these mods all done at the same time?

sukhoi27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Colorado RC 3.6l V6
Just to clarify, did you drive/start the vehicle between fitting the exhaust modifications and fitting the manifold/spacer or were these mods all done at the same time?
To clarify, the exhaust mods were in the car long before the spacer and manifold mod. They were there even before I did the engine rebuild.

So yeah, I'd been driving the vehicle with the exhaust mods long before I even knew that intake manifold mods were a thing.