Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mace VE V6 Tune Review

MACE

Reaction score
Hi, sorry for the late response.

"Disregard my ignorance (I've only ever owned Toyota's) but what do you mean by an LFX engine?"
The name of your direct injection motor is known as an LFX. This is the code associated to your particle motor.

"It was on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. We thought the car would only approx 140 being an auto but hey, every dyno's different."
This is true. The increase is more important than the varying figures on the dyno.

"I thought tuning was approx $450-500, is there something different with these engines/transmissions?"
The remote tuning is $550 and depending if you want to loan or outright buy the cable the cost will change. For a drive in and drive out tune the above cost of $1000 (give or take) depends on on the workshop you take it to.
For further information, please follow this link:
Holden VE V6 Remote FLASH Tuning - Mace Engineering Group

"I have bought Mace manifold insulators"
Defiantly our most popular product for the Alloytec.

"I'm thinking of an air hammer CAI and cat back and a tune to top it all off what could I expect to gain from all this power wise in a series 1

sv6 that's other wise stock"

Please visit the following link, there's a dyno of an Alloytec with the same upgrades:
Holden VE V6 Remote FLASH Tuning - Mace Engineering Group

"it's the auto 5 box to so I'm guessing no refinements for it?"
Unfortunately we don't have anything to suit the 5 speed auto box at the moment. However we have had a breakthrough as of recently and we expect to have something available next year.

"And would a 2.5 inch cat back be better power wise than a 2.25?"
2.5 inch cat back will increase top end performance at the expensive of low end torque and may drone.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,

Bill

Silver6

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SV6
So after sitting here for the last hour reading everything (which was very helpful) I have decided that in the not too distant future would like to go with the tune but being a noobie I still have a few questions about it all.

I have a 2006 VE SV6 Alloytec
Questions:
1. How much will the tune cost all up? it says $550 on your website so wanted to know does this include the program, leads and all that?
2. Do I need to dyno it after initial tune then again after revised tune (after data logging)?
3. Could you basically describe the whole process (in noob terms) from beginning to end?
4. Would there be a big difference in gains between stock motor and say one with a catback and CIA system. Say 5% difference

Sorry to be a PITA but just want to know it all before going ahead. Still learning about it all so all the info I can get would be great. This seems to be the go though. Not one complaint that I could see from anyone.

I am just after better throttle response, better fuel economy and drivability, and smoother shifting. seems to be a dog below 2500rpm.

Thank you,

Aaron.

Only mod I am about to do is the 25mm manifold insulator.

MACE

Reaction score
Hi Aaron,

Thank you for your enquiry:

"So after sitting here for the last hour reading everything (which was very helpful) I have decided that in the not too distant future would like to go with the tune but being a noobie I still have a few questions about it all."
No problem. Hope we can help

"I have a 2006 VE SV6 Alloytec
Questions:
1. How much will the tune cost all up? it says $550 on your website so wanted to know does this include the program, leads and all that?
2. Do I need to dyno it after initial tune then again after revised tune (after data logging)?
3. Could you basically describe the whole process (in noob terms) from beginning to end?"
Given the fact that you have a 2006 VE SV6 Alloytec we can not help you with our remote tune as they are only suitable for MY08 and onwards

In saying this though, we can help you wit our PCM Tune which is shown in the link below:

https://www.maceengineering.com.au/...5bab/?ObjectID=2732710&ViewAction=ViewProduct

"4. Would there be a big difference in gains between stock motor and say one with a catback and CIA system. Say 5% difference"
Cat back system not so much. The biggest constraints in the stock system are the catalytic converters, extractors and rear mufflers. The size of the exhaust is 2.25 inch. This is fine for a naturally aspirated vehicle. There is one crimp that goes down to 2 inches which you could also replace with 2.25 inch pipe.

"Sorry to be a PITA but just want to know it all before going ahead. Still learning about it all so all the info I can get would be great. This seems to be the go though. Not one complaint that I could see from anyone.
I am just after better throttle response, better fuel economy and drivability, and smoother shifting. seems to be a dog below 2500rpm."
Completely understandable. You will definitely see an increase in the following attributes listed above.

"Only mod I am about to do is the 25mm manifold insulator."
You would not be able to fit your engine covers back on with this, however in saying that though you would pick up gains around 13% increase in down low torque with these.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,

Allen

Silver6

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SV6
The PCM sounds like it would be alright. Would it support the following mods though?
25mm manifold insulator
pacemaker extractors
catback exhaust
Cold air intake/OTR

Possibly cams one day though.

If I got it tuned without the cams could I then get it retuned? and if so then at what price?

Thank you,

Aaron.

MACE

Reaction score
Hi Aaron,

Thank you for your enquiry:

"The PCM sounds like it would be alright. Would it support the following mods though?
25mm manifold insulator
pacemaker extractors
catback exhaust
Cold air intake/OTR"

It would.

"Possibly cams one day though."
This would require a custom tune at this point in time.

"If I got it tuned without the cams could I then get it retuned? and if so then at what price?"
This would be possible, however you would require a custom tune for the Alloytec at this point in time.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
Hey hey!

So it's been a while it seems since anything has been said in this thread. I've recently purchased a 2012 z series commodore v6 auto and I may be interested in a tune in the future. My question is, are these tunes still available? can it been done to my car and has the price changed at all?

Cheers,

Jeremy