Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE VS commodore memcal and soon to be review

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Do a pressure test on your coolant system so you can pinpoint where the leak is coming from exactly. Saves you going on a wild goose chase.

MACE

Reaction score
No worries, well my engine mounts are due to be replaced so I'll most likely stick with the 12mm spacer then.
Easy done then :)

i have discovered today that there is coolant around one of the bolt heads from the intake manifold bolts and my coolant over flow was empty, I check everything every few weeks as I only travel 4k's round trip to work each day.
I am on holidays from work for the next week so I am going to pull the manifold of and strip it all and clean everything, (done 240K's and prob never been touched).
I was thinking about getting a 82deg thermostat to put in since I will have it all out any way,

Hey mace what's it worth to get a memcal and 82deg thermostat for my 7/97 vs v6 II auto, I have a 2.5" cat back system.
I'll shoot you a PM on prices shortly

Do a pressure test on your coolant system so you can pinpoint where the leak is coming from exactly. Saves you going on a wild goose chase.
Definitely!

mjs8672

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS v6
We'll I just pulled the intake manifold off and found a leak between the cooling port and the bolt holes I saw coolant around so I will put it all back together tomorrow, I have owned the car for 12months and I have only ever run 98 ultimate in her, I was expecting to see a large build up inside the manifold but I was pleasantly shocked to find it very clean, everything looked very clean, I am going to order the chip for it tonight and put that in on Wednesday (if its posted over night).

MACE

Reaction score
We'll I just pulled the intake manifold off and found a leak between the cooling port and the bolt holes I saw coolant around so I will put it all back together tomorrow, I have owned the car for 12months and I have only ever run 98 ultimate in her, I was expecting to see a large build up inside the manifold but I was pleasantly shocked to find it very clean, everything looked very clean, I am going to order the chip for it tonight and put that in on Wednesday (if its posted over night).
Ah excellent, this is what you want to see :D

In regards to the memcal you should see this Thursday

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Kindest Regards,
Steve

mjs8672

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS v6
cheers Steve, looking forward to its arrival.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
So after burning a tank of vortex 98 away, I have the new fuel consumption figure.

I used 48.6 litres of fuel to 552km, 200 odd k's of that was highway at 100kp/h, the rest was city driving. Also I drove like a grandpa.

So that works out at 8.33L/100km

Previously my car was returning 9.6l/100km on average, same kind of conditions roughly.

So I've gained an improvement of 1.3L/100km

And I'm more than happy with that, goes to show if you maintain you car well, I can get my 3.8 v6 to give the economy of a small 4cyl!

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
So after burning a tank of vortex 98 away, I have the new fuel consumption figure.

I used 48.6 litres of fuel to 552km, 200 odd k's of that was highway at 100kp/h, the rest was city driving. Also I drove like a grandpa.

So that works out at 8.33L/100km

Previously my car was returning 9.6l/100km on average, same kind of conditions roughly.

So I've gained an improvement of 1.3L/100km

And I'm more than happy with that, goes to show if you maintain you car well, I can get my 3.8 v6 to give the economy of a small 4cyl!
Nice!

What changes did you make to get this improvement?

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mace memcal, cleaned the MAF, replaced plugs and leads and a new air filter.

mjs8672

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS v6
I am just (5mins ago when it arrived in the post) installed my mace memcal, and I did plugs, coolant, oil, intake manifold gasket, intake manifold clean.
I was averaging 450 - 550 k's to 53 ish ltr's and that's not by driving like a grandpa ( I do like to feel the push back in the seat but it doesn't take allot of loud pedal for that any way)
I have just been for a drive around the block and it does feel more responsive, takes even less pedal now so I'll see how it goes over the next few days as I enjoy going for drives 100 k's or on Saturday with my daughter and finding a nice country bakery for lunch. as my car only does 3k's round trip for work each day.