Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MAF Filter?

Braydenreid

Reaction score
Members Ride
S/C VX Calais
im going to install a new CAI and wider piping and was wonderng if i should i take out the honeycomb mesh in the MAF? would it stuff up my car at all?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
It will stuff around with the car if you remove the honeycomb in the MAF. It is there to ensure an even, regulated flow over the sensor.

Braydenreid

Reaction score
Members Ride
S/C VX Calais
when you say 'stuff around'.. would it be in a bad way?

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
the MAF tells the engine how much air its getting (im pretty sure correct me if im wrong)... so if the computer thinks its getting more or less air than it really is then the amount of feul being injected will be wrong so it would be in a bad way... depending on how good you were are taking the honeycomb out it might not matter too much but i wouldnt bother really

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
i took the mesh out of mine an it drove fine for 3 years till i got a mafless tune. but most people on here will tell you not to take it out for the reason acarmody has stated.It is a restriction.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Let me put it like this. The ECU uses the MAF to determine how much fuel to add, because it know how much air is flowing in. Now it can do this because the MAF is giving it a nice reliable reading since the air is smoothly passing over the MAF sensors (those little resisters). Now if you remove the honeycomb, it can allow turbulent air to flow over the sensors, so it can get an unreliable reading.

Like the guy above posted, it may run alright, or it may not. Its totally up to you to decide if you want too.

If you want a gain you can install an LS1 MAF which are bigger but than you will need a tune to suit.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Promotes laminar flow, even.

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
Beg to differ , but removing the screen ( the restriction) allows a greater volume of air to be sucked past the measuring resistor grid , remember the greater volume of air you can cram into a cylinder coupled with matching fuel ratio, will give a greater explosion thus driving the piston down , thus giving more power!!!!
Ever tried to blow thru a flyscreen ??? Its a lot harder than without it. The MAF measures Air Flow in Cubic Feet/minute , (or the metric equivalent) . The aim of the game is to get more cu/ft min past the sensor so it signals the ECU to program more fuel to match.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Beg to differ , but removing the screen ( the restriction) allows a greater volume of air to be sucked past the measuring resistor grid , remember the greater volume of air you can cram into a cylinder coupled with matching fuel ratio, will give a greater explosion thus driving the piston down , thus giving more power!!!!
Ever tried to blow thru a flyscreen ??? Its a lot harder than without it. The MAF measures Air Flow in Cubic Feet/minute , (or the metric equivalent) . The aim of the game is to get more cu/ft min past the sensor so it signals the ECU to program more fuel to match.

Nobodies arguing that point... what we're trying to say is that the engine needs to know how much air is going in and it needs to be pretty accurate... if the car thinks its getting more air than it really is then its going to be running rich and vice versa it would run lean... if you understand the whole concept of air flow youll understand that the sensors need "stable" air (laminar flow) otherwise its starts measuring eddies and vacuums which could lead to your engine running weird. IF you can get a MAF made without it you would be better of doing that as its been designed that way not chopped up and smoothed out