Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MAF Sensor

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
I thought it might be time to clean the maf sensor on my 2016 ssv with the Ls3. I am not real mechanical minded so I was wondering
if someone might be kind enough to give me the detailed steps I should follow. I was going to buy the special maf cleaner from Supercheap.
Thanks in advance
Merv

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
not much to it, just pull the intake apart until you see the MAF sensor give it a spray and a little scrub if necessary with an anti-static brush - they usually don't get very dirty unless you use an oil based air filter like a K&N, etc.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Who said the MAF sensor actually needs cleaning?

they usually don't get very dirty unless you use an oil based air filter like a K&N, etc.

Oh—!
Evidence please. I have an oil-filled air filter and the MAF sensor is routinely expected each service (13K-plus since installation). There is no evidence of oil-staining.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Who said the MAF sensor actually needs cleaning?

Oh—!
Evidence please. I have an oil-filled air filter and the MAF sensor is routinely expected each service (13K-plus since installation). There is no evidence of oil-staining.

I also run K&N and have not had issues with the MAF on mine either, I just know that's where most junk comes from. usually someone a little overzealous with the recharging.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
usually someone a little overzealous with the recharging.

You have a point there, absolutely. Yes, meant to be done with a very fine spray, like an atomiser (K&Ns own; I would use an atomiser bowl attached to Karcher when the time comes, which is I think at least 70,000km from this point...).
The notion that people are going in there and "cleaning my MAF sensor" every 5-10,000km or so, on the assumption they are doing it some good, doesn't make sense. You can bet that if something is wrong with it, the engine will let you know all about it, as well the fault code(s). So...let it do its job, alone and unfettered, and let technicians clean or fix what is proven to be irregular or wrong.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
You have a point there, absolutely. Yes, meant to be done with a very fine spray, like an atomiser (K&Ns own; I would use an atomiser bowl attached to Karcher when the time comes, which is I think at least 70,000km from this point...).
The notion that people are going in there and "cleaning my MAF sensor" every 5-10,000km or so, on the assumption they are doing it some good, doesn't make sense. You can bet that if something is wrong with it, the engine will let you know all about it, as well the fault code(s). So...let it do its job, alone and unfettered, and let technicians clean or fix what is proven to be irregular or wrong.

if they are I have a few bottles of indicator fluid I could sell them.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
you are probably more than likely to damage it than clean it

just get a mafless tune and take it out, no more cleaning to worry about ;)

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
You can bet that if something is wrong with it, the engine will let you know all about it...
True, cake it with Grease and the car will think it's running lean yet the ass end smells like a jetty... 3 mechanics and a Mazda dealer did not pick up on that.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I thought it might be time to clean the maf sensor on my 2016 ssv with the Ls3. I am not real mechanical minded so I was wondering
if someone might be kind enough to give me the detailed steps I should follow. I was going to buy the special maf cleaner from Supercheap.
Thanks in advance
Merv

This is how I do it...
Takes 10 min...

-Unclip top airbox lid.
- Unclip MAF wiring connector
-Undo both hose clamps holding maf to intake duct.
-Remove MAF
-Spray the inside generously with MAF cleaner from both directions.
Aim for components in the middle.
-Give it a few minutes to dry.
- Put it back in making sure it sits correctly
- Tighten hose clamps
- Reconnect the wiring connector
- Close airbox making sure all clips are secure

While you are at it...god idea to clean the throttle body to with TB cleaner. Only one additional hose clamp to remove to access the TB

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
This is how I do it...
Takes 10 min...

-Unclip top airbox lid.
- Unclip MAF wiring connector
-Undo both hose clamps holding maf to intake duct.
-Remove MAF
-Spray the inside generously with MAF cleaner from both directions.
Aim for components in the middle.
-Give it a few minutes to dry.
- Put it back in making sure it sits correctly
- Tighten hose clamps
- Reconnect the wiring connector
- Close airbox making sure all clips are secure

While you are at it...god idea to clean the throttle body to with TB cleaner. Only one additional hose clamp to remove to access the TB
Thanks Ron