Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Maf survival with an OTRCAI and oily filter

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
This is in response to the tuning thread.

It seems tuning is abit hit or miss. But u would think a custom tune is specific to the car and not just a quick cut and paste job. I had a tune done recently and it felt a bit flat. Went back to them and they were abit stanoffish. Thought it was strange that I had no before/after dyno as well. Car put down 245rwkw which I guess is ok for an L98 with exhaust/ headers/ OTR/ etc

The car still went hard but it felt a bit flat and throttle response was pretty dohey. I cleaned the maf /filter etc as part of general maintance and the car really spring to life. Throttle response was brilliant and it had easily 20rwkw more as standing start acceleration would put the pilot super sports under pressure where as before they would only be stressed if provoked. Unfortunaly the crisp throttle only lasted a short while. Cleaning again after 400km returned the power. And then went away again. I was almost resigned to the fact I was having to start again (perhaps with another tuner) and go Mafless.

I just yesterday replaced the maf for a brand new one. Perhaps living in an environment of oil filters and road grime wore the maf prematurely. The power and throttle response is as good as it had ever been. So let's hope it is all good and the crazy throttle and power remains.

The car has lived with an oiled filter since new and perhaps after 145000km it's had enough. When cleaning and re-oiling the filters I try to use as thin a coat of oil as possible and I let it sit overnight to give the oil a chance to soak into the filter.

Let's hope this time the power remains as is. There is something very special irregardless of the power level having a razor shape throttle and good timing. Makes the car really enjoyable to drive rather than a chore.

I guess summarising all this rambling on is perhaps change your maf especially in you suspect power and throttle response is not at its best.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It seems tuning is abit hit or miss. But u would think a custom tune is specific to the car and not just a quick cut and paste job. I had a tune done recently and it felt a bit flat.

For common setups heaps of shops just do copy/paste tunes and then use the dyno to check AFRs. It makes sense to me to set up a lot of common ground work quickly like that, but it makes lots of shops get lazy or not look, particularly when you get a shop that is focused more on volume so they can pump out more cars and get more cash. Kind of makes me think whatever shop you went to is like that given that you couldn't get a before graph which would have taken all of 5 minutes to do.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Get a mafless tune and chuck that maf sensor right in the bin, no more oily maf issues

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
You are probably correct in saying Mafless will fix things. If I get a cam done this will be how I go.

I've had the new maf in for a week or so now and gone through over tank of juice and happy to report is the orsome throttle response remains. It's more consistent now for sure so for a small investment a replacement maf for some reasonable mileage VE Commodores is certainly worth considering.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
the most common MAF's essentially are Hot wire MAF's, and they work by having a small temp sensor near the hot wire. The faster the air flows, the cooler the temp sensor reads.

Anything that interferes with the heat generation or heat sensing will soften your throttle response. Carbon, soot, dirt, oil etc.