Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

maff or maffless??

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
The factory tunes cars rich to compensate for unpredictable environments.

you can EASILY lean out air fuel ratio's from standard, you just risk pre-ignition. That's why OTR CAI's work. Colder air, less intake temp. More oxygen to go bang. The more oxygen(fuel) you have the better the source of ignition you need to make it burn. Therefore less change of pre-ignition and less fuel consumption due to less fuel being injected and more timing advance. (Timing advance is a give a little take a little scenario as the more advance you add the more chance of pre-ignition you have)

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
ALL my mods are listed on my insurance (most of them technically illegal) and last year when I had a big bingle I had no problems with my claim.

Do you pay a higher premium when you notify your insurance company of your mods? Which company do you use? And have any knocked you back for insurance once advised of the mods?

Cheers

Last edited:

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Do you pay a higher premium when you notify your insurance company of your mods? Which company do you use? And have any knocked you back for insurance once advised of the mods?

Cheers

I'm insured with AAMI (but about to do another ring around for quotes to check out the competition again). I pay ~$820 annually full comp with a $500 excess (from memory). When I rang up to notify them of an additional mod to the car, they gave me the option of just listing it on the policy or listing it and paying extra on the premium. The extra premium I pay for my mods is only about $8-10 a month on top of the normal premium. When I rang to to add my blower it only cost me about $3 a month extra. Get this, when I rang to add my Harrop brakes they lowered the premium by a few bucks a month as they said the car was now 'safer' as it now has bigger better brakes. I think that's a bit of a crock (to an extent) but I wasn't going to argue. AAMI have been pretty good and at my last ring around for quotes they were by far the cheapest and had the best policy options (for me).

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I'm insured with AAMI (but about to do another ring around for quotes to check out the competition again). I pay ~$820 annually full comp with a $500 excess (from memory). When I rang up to notify them of an additional mod to the car, they gave me the option of just listing it on the policy or listing it and paying extra on the premium. The extra premium I pay for my mods is only about $8-10 a month on top of the normal premium. When I rang to to add my blower it only cost me about $3 a month extra. Get this, when I rang to add my Harrop brakes they lowered the premium by a few bucks a month as they said the car was now 'safer' as it now has bigger better brakes. I think that's a bit of a crock (to an extent) but I wasn't going to argue. AAMI have been pretty good and at my last ring around for quotes they were by far the cheapest and had the best policy options (for me).

I'm with AAMI also and have noticed that they're VERY open to mods, with the option to either have the mods covered (and pay extra for it) or just to have them listed and not covered (just the stock vehicle is covered). I think that's a very smart way of doing business on their part! I've looked around and you'll be lucky to find a better deal!

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Cheers gents. Had to laugh at the brake upgrade reduction that's a cracker. I'm with NRMA @ $620 (full comp) on $32000. As you say Wiky the insurance companies have pretty tight disclosure clauses so always best to declare mods if possible + covering your losses if something should go wrong. Wonder if the tune breaches disclosure?

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
I'm with AAMI also and have noticed that they're VERY open to mods, with the option to either have the mods covered (and pay extra for it) or just to have them listed and not covered (just the stock vehicle is covered). I think that's a very smart way of doing business on their part! I've looked around and you'll be lucky to find a better deal!

slightly off topic but this is very interesting, may have to add a few things when i renew with them

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
I can't see how MAFless fuel economy can be just as good as MAF? MAF can tell the PCM the air flow so it can measure the fuel mixtures properly? So if you take it out, surely a MAFless setup can't be as good?
Get's technical I suppose when it comes to emissions. HSV GTS were legal because they come from factory. When it comes to removing it, you are modding the emissions of the car so it becomes illegal but how far do you go? You can put on extractors, etc which also would affect emissions. Red tape is crap isn't it?

if the engine internals are in good condition and standard the mafless tune will be extremely close to normal tune maybe even a little leaner air/fuel mix in alot of cases GRR
but anyway emissions should still match close standard which exceed the laws minimum requirements

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I'm also with AAMI.... but you should remember that just because you list all your mods with an insurer, doesnt mean your car will be covered in an event of an accident.
Not saying that they'll knock you back for sure, but you need to remember that a condition of your insurance is to keep the car roadworthy and satisfy the road rules for your state. Listing mods on your policy is one thing, but if those mods make your car unroadworthy, you are opening a loophole that your insurer can take advantage of.

My advice is keep your car mods legal and go MAF. You can still make the car look good and get a little extra power without legal issues later.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yeah, RACV didn't even want to know about my mods... They just said as long as the car is roadworthy I'll be insured.

COL3SY

COL3SY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
different story for me thou, trying to find someone to insure me was hard as they didnt like the fact a 21 year old is driving a 09 ssv lol.
im with cgu pretty cheap compared to what the others wearing quoting me