Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

maff or maffless??

COL3SY

COL3SY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
after some help on what ppl think? either go for the maff tune or maffless tune thanks

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
That question is about as common as "What oil should I put in my car?" Mafless. :)

COL3SY

COL3SY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
so what if mr police man pulls me over? is it a fine for not having the maff sensor?
this is my first v8 so not to sure on the whole maff and maffless

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
It's MAF or MAF-less. MAF is Mass Air Flow, so there's only one F.

MAF-less is unroadworthy so they can give you a pretty yellow sticker for your windscreen and then you have to get the MAF put back on to pass a RWC. Plus an unroadworthy car is not covered by insurance.

I got a MAF-less and am just hoping not to crash or have my engine checked by the cops :)

COL3SY

COL3SY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
It's MAF or MAF-less. MAF is Mass Air Flow, so there's only one F.

MAF-less is unroadworthy so they can give you a pretty yellow sticker for your windscreen and then you have to get the MAF put back on to pass a RWC. Plus an unroadworthy car is not covered by insurance.

I got a MAF-less and am just hoping not to crash or have my engine checked by the cops :)

thanks stoneX
maf tune for me, would hate to crash and not be covered as i havent even had the car for a month :)

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
You don't get as good fuel economy with mafless setups, each to their own.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
You don't get as good fuel economy with mafless setups, each to their own.

Not true at all. Find a decent tuner.

Yes technically you can get done with not having a MAF but (nearly) every other aftermarket mod you do to your car is illegal. If you're driving around like a plonker and get pulled over, fair chance they'll go over your car and get you for anything they can.

I've had my bonnet lifted at quite a few RBTs and never had a problem. I don't run a MAF with my blower setup, ALL my mods are listed on my insurance (most of them technically illegal) and last year when I had a big bingle I had no problems with my claim. I guess if you have an illegal mod that is the direct cause of the accident though, that's where you may come unstuck, but I highly doubt running mafless would cause any concerns.

I'm not pro or anti MAF by the way. There's many different reasons why people go both ways.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Yeah, you wont have any worries.
MAF-less tunes aren't technically illegal. HSV do them as standard. It all comes down to the emissions. So if you get defected for it you can get an emission's test for the EPA and have the defect removed.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I can't see how MAFless fuel economy can be just as good as MAF? MAF can tell the PCM the air flow so it can measure the fuel mixtures properly? So if you take it out, surely a MAFless setup can't be as good?
Get's technical I suppose when it comes to emissions. HSV GTS were legal because they come from factory. When it comes to removing it, you are modding the emissions of the car so it becomes illegal but how far do you go? You can put on extractors, etc which also would affect emissions. Red tape is crap isn't it?