Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

maffless tunes

god007

Reaction score
Members Ride
ssz vz
Trying to comprehend the prices out there on Maffless tunes .....how can these high performance places justify charging $1200 for a maffless on vz 5.7 auto and some on these mobile guyz can do the same tune for $400 to $600 ...I would personally prefer to go to a on site premises but why should i pay for their high
over heads when they cant even decide to meet half way with their pricings .....At the end of the day its mainly all done by computer chip ?....Can anyone shed any light on this ?

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
$1200 seems pretty high, I would shop around. I've rang a few places in WA recently and the price is about $800 on average, from well known performance shops.
Does $1200 include an OTR intake as well as these are about $500 from most places.

Tunes can be as cheap as about $300-400 from guys on gumtree, but how good the result is, I can't say.

Edit: I see you're in perth, so talk to BYE performance, Street Quick Peformance or Active Automotive, they all quoted around $800ish from memory.

god007

Reaction score
Members Ride
ssz vz
Thanks for the comments guyz yes i would say fair price for maffless tune on its ownd $650 to $800 any higher and you are simply paying for reputation .....seems to be many guyz out seem to want to take advantage of the situation by downing the little guyz out there .....

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
how can these high performance places justify charging $1200 for a maffless on vz 5.7 auto and some on these mobile guyz can do the same tune for $400 to $600

It's not simply a process of removing the MAF from the tune and then bam it instantly makes more power.

Any shop you are taking it too you will be paying for dyno time. Any mobile guy will probably be flashing it with some generic mafless tune or doing some kind or road tuning.

Part of the reason a "MAFless tune" makes more power is not really because they are removing the MAF, but because they are giving you a retune that is a huge improvement over the factory tune, so the dyno is an important tool. In this sense, a shop can provide you with a tune to suit any mods on the car at the same time.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Most changes can be made with one flash, true. However it depends on what the problem is, if any, and how much rooting around is deemed appropriate to customize the car to suit you. Unless you are looking to maximize WOT performance at top revs, paying extra for dyno time is overkill. Having said that, safely measuring output and AFR during PE can only be done with a properly setup dyno, operator and tuner. That's at least two people, a shop, a PC driven dynomometer, and miscellaneous props.
But no matter who does the tune, most time is not actually on the dyno or driving but calibrating after reading, scanning, logging and analyzing.
More so than rollers a good street tune requires WideBand feedback. Without that it is fairly hit and miss, and I imagine gumtree and eBay dudes utilize vehicle sensors only, with a FlashScan or other handheld.
Consider the actual seat licence for your VIN is about $200, call out $200, $150/hr for time spent. That's about cheapest you can get from someone who speaks English and doesn't resent doing the job because you are being scabby and there's no money in it. Definitely will be better than stock, restricted on what can do without WB or rollers.
If you are getting CAI / exhaust you are way better off paying a couple of hundred more to get a full custom tune (that's if you want max WOT performance), book it in with a tuner who at least has access to the the gear above and do it once.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
$1200 is closer to the price of a tune with a OTR. A tune alone is usually closer to $800. Also beware that generally you get what you pay for ;) Every time ive had a car dyno tuned i always see someone rock up that has had a cheap mail order tune looking at getting the tune fixed due to the car running like ****.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
beware that generally you get what you pay for ;)

Also if you don't understand what you actually want then someone will give you what they think you need. In which case doesn't matter how much you do or don't pay you won't get (satisfaction) out of that you paid for.

Qualify what you want by talking about your driving style including where, time of day / year and how frequently, and what you like and don't like about the current tune, rather than trying to quantify all that with a rwkw number.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Thanks for the comments guyz yes i would say fair price for maffless tune on its ownd $650 to $800 any higher and you are simply paying for reputation .....seems to be many guyz out seem to want to take advantage of the situation by downing the little guyz out there .....

Generally the guys that charge $1000 plus have plenty of business due to their good reputation so they can charge a bit more. Its simple supply and demand.