Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mafless Tune Surprised and Disappointed!

Just_Ice

Reaction score
Like all the others have said Dynos are a tool for tuning, not a real indication... My VX SS Headers, exhaust and Maf tune only made 196.7rwkw... I was totally dissappointed with that, but it feels great and a totally different car to drive...... Has pulled a 13.8 at the track which is not to shabby I don't think....

vy1sv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv ute
speed is indeed the best indicator, i use the gardens along anzac pde as markers and gun up there, the faster i am at a certain point im gathering is meaning a mod was a good one :). dynos can be terribly inaccurate, and obviously vary a hell of a lot. But dude no stress :)

cosmo94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
agree the drive is so much better, response is instant and at the end of the day Dyno figures are a littlebit of a W**k!

rousey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS A4 - 11.80 @ 120mph, 1.9 sec 60'
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Last edited:

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
rousey said:
the first mod i ever got (car was completely standard) was a maf edit. And the difference was incredible.
The first thing i noticed was the urge the car had. It required less throttle to accelertate hard.
I didnt realy notice a difference below 3000rpm, but above that the car was completly different.

Is your car still completely standard other than the edit? If so, running low 13's is pretty awsome!

I'm just wondering what the effect would be of getting just the tune. My VY SS is stock at the moment and I'm not into loud exhaust etc any more (I must be getting old!). Or do I really need an exhaust / cai to get the best from the tune?

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
davey g-force said:
I'm just wondering what the effect would be of getting just the tune. My VY SS is stock at the moment and I'm not into loud exhaust etc any more (I must be getting old!). Or do I really need an exhaust / cai to get the best from the tune?
No, you don't need any add-ons to get some extra power, since the standard V8 is tuned quite poorly. I'm not sure if this is a deliberate marketing strategy to keep the "halo cars" significantly faster, or just "insurance" against abuse and potential breakages. If course, if you do have some mods done, you can get more benefit from the mods by having the engine re-tuned.

My VY2 SV8 is totally stock, no air filter, muffler change or even a sticker. It was dynoed stock at 240rwhp. After a tune using HP Tuners LS1 Edit(?) software it made 270rwhp. This is not a aggresive or dangerous tune - you'd never know the difference during the daily drive. Gains were across the entire rev range but most significant in the 4000-6000 rev range. I also had the speedo recalibrated and the auto shift points tweaked.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
klaw81 said:
No, you don't need any add-ons to get some extra power, since the standard V8 is tuned quite poorly. I'm not sure if this is a deliberate marketing strategy to keep the "halo cars" significantly faster, or just "insurance" against abuse and potential breakages. If course, if you do have some mods done, you can get more benefit from the mods by having the engine re-tuned.

My VY2 SV8 is totally stock, no air filter, muffler change or even a sticker. It was dynoed stock at 240rwhp. After a tune using HP Tuners LS1 Edit(?) software it made 270rwhp. This is not a aggresive or dangerous tune - you'd never know the difference during the daily drive. Gains were across the entire rev range but most significant in the 4000-6000 rev range. I also had the speedo recalibrated and the auto shift points tweaked.

Thanks for that klaw. :thumbsup:

240 rwhp sounds high though. They were meant to have 235 hp at the flywheel standard!

Still, an increase of 30 rwhp is significant for a tune only. I think I'm gonna pop into Morrano's here in Sydney on my next day off...

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
You've got your figures & units a bit skewed....the VY was originally rated at 230kW (not HP) at the flywheel. The VY2 was upgraded to 245kW at the flywheel. Allowing for drivetrain losses, 240HP (205kW) at the wheels is about right for an auto - a manual would give a little more.

Cosmo34 you're right that results between dynos are often variable, which is why they should only be used as a comparison...but there's nothing wanky about comparing figures before and after each modification. That's a very valid and useful measure of "bang for buck" comparison, and the basis of all modification R&D. However, on-the-road performance is what we're all interested in, at the end of the day it's the only thing that really matters.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
klaw81 said:
You've got your figures & units a bit skewed....the VY was originally rated at 230kW (not HP) at the flywheel. The VY2 was upgraded to 245kW at the flywheel. Allowing for drivetrain losses, 240HP (205kW) at the wheels is about right for an auto - a manual would give a little more.

Derrr! Sorry bout that I got mixed up... :hit:

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Could anyone enlighten me as to what a mafless tune is, I know what a maf is so im guessing its a tune without the maf? If so, by the looks of things there are some fairly good gains from them.
thanks