Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mafless Tune

Don QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute MY06 6L V8
Hi guys,

Newly bought a 2006 VZ SSZ ute with extractors, aftermarket exhaust and a mafless tune preformed by OzTrack in Sydney.

The previous owner made me aware of an issue during start-up where the engine will surge a few times before the computer sorts itself out.

If you try taking off while this process is happening (usually only on cold mornings) the car stalls! But if you leave it for a few moments before putting into drive/reverse its fine.

He said its due to the difference in temp/humidity between Sydney and Far North QLD.

Thinking of getting it put back to stock or at least trying to re-tune it! It's putting out 310kW at the moment but I'm not sure it’s worth it.

Otherwise the car is in excellent condition and performs perfectly having only done 30,000kms!

Has anyone else experienced an issue similar to this?

Cheers!

coo dawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS1
310kw from just a mafless and exhaust. That at the wheels or fly?

I'd get it retuned for sure. But if it's OzTrack, I'm pretty sure you can send them the ECU and they can adjust and tune and send it back to you. Don't quote me on this though.

Don QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute MY06 6L V8
Tuning Problem SSZ!

Hi guys,

Recently bought a 2006 VZ SSZ ute with extractors, aftermarket exhaust and a mafless tune preformed by OzTrack in Sydney.

The previous owner made me aware of an issue during start-up where the engine will surge a few times before the computer sorts itself out.

If you try taking off while this process is happening (usually only on cold mornings) the car stalls! But if you leave it for a few moments before putting into drive/reverse its fine.

He said its due to the difference in temp/humidity between Sydney and Far North QLD.

Thinking of getting it put back to stock or at least trying to re-tune it! It's putting out 310kW at the moment but I'm not sure it’s worth it.

Otherwise the car is in excellent condition and performs perfectly having only done 30,000kms!

Has anyone else experienced an issue similar to this?

Cheers!

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
How's it tuned? Did he post the ECU away to oztrack?
You can get it tuned remotely by oztrack using data logging with the Autocal device.. I'm sure steve could adjust the tune if it's what is causing the problem..

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
Retune bud, stock will have a different power curve and torque, and you would have to refit the maf. Don't ruin a good car by being cheap.

Don QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute MY06 6L V8
Sorry has the following;

Custom 3" short extractors into 3" balistic SS Cats with a custom 2.5" twin system.

Not sure where that was taken from, should probably have it dynoed before I start blurting out figures the seller told me! Does it still seem too high?

He had the ECU sent down to them originally, do you think I should send it off to them again hope they get it right this time?

Or is it better to get a tune done with the whole car somewhere closer cairns/townsville area?
Thanks for the help!

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Check out the remote tuning that doesn't involve posting your ECU.. Steve at oztrack is bloody helpful..

Don QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute MY06 6L V8
Yes Brenno,

He posted it to OzTrack. Just reading up on the remote tuning with OzTrack thanks for that seems to be the go!

Yep Crustin you're prob right, seems a shame to bring it back to stock, love how it drives at the moment thanks mate.