Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Magnefine Filters - Beware they do explode!

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
Hey guys,

Today I went to grab lunch. The moment I left the carpark my gearbox started shifting sloppy / lost all gears.
I pulled up and turned off the engine, only to be greeted by this....

p1.jpg

These filters to my amazement can in fact be opened... turns out the top bit is threaded so it screws onto the body of the filter... I tried putting on some thread tape and re-filling but it ended up popping off again the 2nd time around.
p2.jpg

I'll get some more pics later.

Im lucky my clutches and pump didn't get ruined. Put another filter on and its working fine... Might end up ditching these filters though if they aren't fully sealed.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Unlucky mate!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Why are you running an external filter in the first place......surely the filter in the sump does the job just as well as any external filter?

I too had a trans fluid issue today, went to start the Stato after being away for work for a week, trans cooler line has perished and split dumping a few litres of fluid in the garage.

Last edited:

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
The inline one picks up heaps more tiny metal particles over the in-pan one. Has a higher filteration rate too.
I got some pics of the ever so tiny metal pieces that were on the magnet, i'll get some pics when my phone gets some charge

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Hey guys,

Today I went to grab lunch. The moment I left the carpark my gearbox started shifting sloppy / lost all gears.
I pulled up and turned off the engine, only to be greeted by this....

View attachment 162306

These filters to my amazement can in fact be opened... turns out the top bit is threaded so it screws onto the body of the filter... I tried putting on some thread tape and re-filling but it ended up popping off again the 2nd time around.
View attachment 162307

I'll get some more pics later.

Im lucky my clutches and pump didn't get ruined. Put another filter on and its working fine... Might end up ditching these filters though if they aren't fully sealed.

Did you put it before the radiator (cooler) or after? It is meant to go after it, that way the fluid has been cooled down a bit.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
In a US thread on the problem with inline filters, Magnefine made the following post in 29.3.2013:

"It has been brought to our attention that there is some issues with the MagneFine In line Filter. In reply to any issue that you find I would like to advise that we warranty the product for its operation and performance.

I would also like to advise that there is a Knock Off in line filter that looks exactly like the MagneFine. This copy is Made in China and is sold on line and in some the same traditional distribution outlets, like the ones mentioned in the Forums.

Over the last 9 months we have been inundated with reports from customers that the MagneFine filter is failing or leaking between the cap and the body seam. In 99% of cases it has been the knock off filter that the customer has and not a MagneFine filter.

To identify the genuine MagneFine filter from the Knock off. Just remove the label and if the "MagneFine" name is not molded into the cap then it is the Knock off not a genuine MagneFine.

If the filter is a genuine MagneFine. I would like to offer our assistance to anyone that has an issue to contact myself at - [email protected]"

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Did you put it before the radiator (cooler) or after? It is meant to go after it, that way the fluid has been cooled down a bit.

Wouldn't that make it harder to get through the filter because it's not as viscous? Not sure what having it a little bit cooler would have done in this situation.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
No need at all to run such a filter...

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
We're talking ATF fluid, a "thin" fluid in it's own right.

I see this failure as more pressure related.

In speaking, I never use plastic inline filters. Metal cartridge filters are the go.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Ive only used these in my power steering line