Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Magnum to do or not to do?

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
C448220D-A51F-4934-A632-C4FDD0A5F499.jpeg hi guys,
Had my Magnum Ute in the shed for 2 months now with just 480klms on the clock.

I’m hoping it will be in the family for many years as a ‘sort of’ collector. But a want to drive, feel & hear it when i do take her for a run.

Should I fit a full difilippo exhaust & extractors & get it remapped? Without affecting future resale too much (if it does happen)? I won’t be changing the appearance with badges or anything.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
My SS didn't even last 1,000km or 3 months before I started twiddling with it. They're just too quiet in stock form. Do the DF exhaust and tune, if you want to be purist about keeping it put all the stock bits in the shed and you can always refit them and flash it back to stock later.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
FFS don’t put a DF bazooka on it like every other clown. That ain’t gonna help it’s appreciation, and your neighbourhood won’t really appreciate it either.
Get stocko looking extractors tuned to make the most of your LS3, not “futureproof” oversized rubbish... unless you see the car one day stripped converted to as off-road racecar on nitrous. Meantime losing efficiency and power.
Best thing to spend money on is actually enhance the engineering with continuously variable valve timing, is not something shiny to showcase like noisy shiny exhaust (can’t see the mod) but basically adds VTEC, yo.
Tune that, enjoy nice sound and superior performance.

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
LOL!

Yeah I guess just by asking the question about upgrades, I’d already half made up my mind.

The real million dollar question is how to convince the wife that I “need” it! :(

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
FFS don’t put a DF bazooka on it like every other clown. That ain’t gonna help it’s appreciation, and your neighbourhood won’t really appreciate it either.
Get stocko looking extractors tuned to make the most of your LS3, not “futureproof” oversized rubbish... unless you see the car one day stripped converted to as off-road racecar on nitrous. Meantime losing efficiency and power.
Best thing to spend money on is actually enhance the engineering with continuously variable valve timing, is not something shiny to showcase like noisy shiny exhaust (can’t see the mod) but basically adds VTEC, yo.
Tune that, enjoy nice sound and superior performance.

That’s great advice thanks Monstar!

No idea what continuously variable valve timing is or how it works but Google is about to get a work out. Can I get this done in Brisbane somewhere?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
That’s great advice thanks Monstar!

No idea what continuously variable valve timing is or how it works but Google is about to get a work out. Can I get this done in Brisbane somewhere?
Sure enough there’s a pir4te out Redliffe way on the beach does this ;)
You can either waken it up a decent amount using the stock cam else while you’re down there slip in your sexy new bump stick.
Bottom line just with VVT is it moves torque to ramp ~300 RPM less, higher plateau, increasing peak power ~500 RPM higher. But is about gains everywhere.
Car off the road for a week and (like any engine tune) will make it difficult to claim broken bits under warranty from Holden. Meh ask around, bits don’t break o_O
Thing is nobody needs to know (well yeah sorta) keep it under your hat (bonnet if you prefer) automagically goes like the clappers.
Cost for conversion optimising stock cam $3.5k, headers and collector +$2k.
Of course emissions and economy will be better than stock as well. :D
Thing is the flexibility only enhances further tuning options too.

Last edited:

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
specifics please.........

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
LOL!

Yeah I guess just by asking the question about upgrades, I’d already half made up my mind.

The real million dollar question is how to convince the wife that I “need” it! :(
It'll add value amd improve the fuel economy hun!