Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Magnussen noise

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I have a noise in my motor , i was initially told it was the charger then told its a lifter but i'm not convinced , is this movement normal for a Magnussen

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No. The coupling in the blower is stuffed and needs replacement.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
ye i sorta figured it wasn't right , i got another opinion today and they pointed to the charger to be looked at before considering the lifters.
The problem is the mechanics i use are one of a only a couple high performance joints here and its awkward to try and argue the point

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Not real sure but I understand it is a common fault and some people are replacing them with solid couplings not saying it is a good idea but worth looking into ?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The blower is a lot easier to R & R so I'd tell them to start there. It's your money after all and the customer is always right.....

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not real sure but I understand it is a common fault and some people are replacing them with solid couplings not saying it is a good idea but worth looking into ?

Not sure TBH, I do know some blowers have issues with the couplers or the coupler design. I'm not familiar with this blower so can't comment but looking at the play it's definitely stuffed.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Not sure TBH, I do know some blowers have issues with the couplers or the coupler design. I'm not familiar with this blower so can't comment but looking at the play it's definitely stuffed.
Yes you are probably right and shouldn't have implied that it was a common fault with all blowers. Are they similar in design or do they very? And do the couplers have rubber in them which I am guessing to take the shock out of the rotor . Just trying to learn

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
ye i sorta figured it wasn't right , i got another opinion today and they pointed to the charger to be looked at before considering the lifters.
The problem is the mechanics i use are one of a only a couple high performance joints here and its awkward to try and argue the point

Honestly if it's awkward you need to find another mechanic. When I was running my work shop I made it a point not to make people awkward.... Maybe that's why I went broke but alas that's another story.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The principle should always be that the workshop that supplied and installed the mod should stand by it. The mod should operate with no issues for a reasonable time, else if you have problems you’re covered by either the sellers warranty or ACL statutory warranty :cool:

The fact you’ve already reasonably identified an issue with the supercharger, the only other thing to consider is whether the failure is normal considering how long since you had it installed.
Id think a supercharger should last as long as tne engine = decades and 100’s of 1000’s of kms... not a few years...

If it’s a fault with the charger your workshop installed, it’s something that should be covered under your statutory warranty, so don’t let awkward get in the way else it may cost you $1000’s to fix a product defect :eek: