Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Main causes of brake shudder

Gs VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
97' VS S-Pack Series 2
hey everyone, i got some brake shuddering happening...

only when im braking from high speeds, about 120km...

its not the wheels alignment. ive had that checked, and im sure its not the discs or the pads... the pads are not old at all... And the discs look and feel real smooth..

any suggestions on wat this could be...

thanks ppl...

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
it'd be your rotors (discs)

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Yep. More likely than not you could have warped rotors. It's not something you can really see and only has to be the most subtle of warp. I've got the same problem. Only noticable when braking at higher speeds or slowing down decending on a mountain. Best thing would be to get your discs machined.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
also buy new brake pads, as these wood be shaped to fit your warped discs, so wen u get the discs machines, get a set of brake pads (shuddering normnally is front disc probs)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Warped rotors will usually be felt as a pulsating pedal especially at low speeds. The discs may be glazed or if you have new pads they may not have been bedded in correctly. You can try removing the pads and lightly sand the friction surface and reinstall. However I'd also be checking my tierod ends and also check for freeplay in your front wheel bearings (which are non-adjustable and $400 ea to replace!).

VROCIOUS

Searching for more HP
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
04 HSV VY update Avalanche
warped rotors sound the go. there pretty easy to skim bout $45 a pair when i had mine donw. does your steering wheel vibrate too? if not it will be your rears not your fronts. If they need skimming baddly also check the brake compound, it may be time for new pads of a softer compound to prevent it happening again

Gs VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
97' VS S-Pack Series 2
awsome, thanks for all that input...

my front pads aren;t really worn out.. there in real good nik...

is it really necessary to change the front pads...

what if i were to just machine the front discs... i mean if i really do need new pads, then i will get it.. but if its not necessary then i don't think i would do it...

also do you know any places in sydney where the machine discs cheap and do a good job??????

Gs VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
97' VS S-Pack Series 2
awsome, thanks for all that input...

my front pads aren;t really worn out.. there in real good nik...

is it really necessary to change the front pads...

what if i were to just machine the front discs... i mean if i really do need new pads, then i will get it.. but if its not necessary then i don't think i would do it...

also do you know any places in sydney where the machine discs cheap and do a good job??????

BottFodder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega II
Just replace the whole lot - I bought new pads and rotors for $175 at auto One. For the agro of not having the car for a day (unless you can drive without front brakes) - its just easier. It takes about half an hour a side to replace - piss easy! You need a big screwdriver to lever back the old pads and pistons and (if I remember) a 17mm spanner to get the calipers off. The rotors just pull of the well studs and you are away.

ss16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 SS A4
hako said:
Warped rotors will usually be felt as a pulsating pedal especially at low speeds. The discs may be glazed or if you have new pads they may not have been bedded in correctly. You can try removing the pads and lightly sand the friction surface and reinstall. However I'd also be checking my tierod ends and also check for freeplay in your front wheel bearings (which are non-adjustable and $400 ea to replace!).

I'd tend to agree with HAKO here.
Before you replace your brake setup as some have suggested, get some elbow grease and check things yourself.

Incorrectly bedded in brakes, heavy use of the brakes shortly before coming to a halt at the lights allowing the resin to transfer to a rotor is the most common cause of the rotor "warp" feel.

tie rods and loose hubs (hub bearing) will also cause the wheel shake once the correct oscillations set in.