Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Main chassis rail rust

Robert1960

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SV6
Excellent condition VT that I've had for years as a second owner, spends most of its time in the garage these days only getting the odd weekend use.. Went for a service last week and they said it has rust in the main chassis rails. Looking at past posts on this site it seems to be a fairly common problem in VTs arising from the air con dripping.

Mechanic said it would be fine for the low number of k's I do a year but also said its not roadworthy (so I'm not too pleased). Probably not a financial decision but I'd prefer to get it fixed and keep it for another 10 years than have to buy another second car (that will come with its own problems no doubt) - question is who does this sort of work (Melbourne)?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Got a picture of it?

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
I've seen plenty with peeled paint on the top of the rails in the engine bay but only with cosmetic surface rust.
I've not seen one ever with structural rust damage in that spot.
They were all repairable and all passed multiple nsw blue and pink slips without repair.

dunstan

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt2 hsv
Of the 32 hsv's imported here to the UK many have had rusty chassis rails, some really bad. They blow out where between the layers where they are double skinned.
Mine had some rust to the strut towers and sills, its been repaired now, and luckily the a/c hasn't worked for many years,and the rails are good.