Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

main stud girdle on stroker build

perthvzsv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ5.7SV8A42005
Hey hi fella's
I am building a stroker for my VZ 5.7L
I want to keep the original low km's log motor in one piece to put back in the car if ever i want to sell the car.
So i have bought a Dart block, C.O.M.E stroker kit and just today ordered some AFR as cast heads, although i will sus them oput and if i have to step up from them i will.
I am going with a 4 inch stroke and a 4.010 bore size, that combo will give me 404 cubes or a touch over 6600 cc's, enough for a 59 year old geezer like me.
Talking with C.O.M.E the compression will be 10.5:1 to 10.8:1 which is up a bit from standard 10.1:1, but nothing radical, i am not worried about maximum horsepower numbers, or raising the rev limiter, just wanting a nice cruiser, the car is extremely tidy, and looks like it just came off the showroom floor.
I just put it in drive and cruise, flooring it here and there on occasion, never holding it in any gear, although it will need to be beefed up a bit.
I have seen that mace have a main cap girdle for the LS engines, i am familiar with them as ran them on some Windsors I have built in years gone by, but have not really seen anyone mention using a main cap girdle on their LS builds, so guys are they a good idea on an LS engine or not really required, the Windsors benefitted from them but they are a fairly lightweight engine in factory 302 form.
I also have a Vortech kit on its way, but am undecided what to do with that at this stage, so it can just be tucked away on the shelf, for what i am doing i think the stroker and charger would be overkill for a cruiser, what i like about the stroker is open the bonnet and mister policeman sees a standard engine right down to the stock airbox,engine covers and exhaust manifolds etc.
One last question is have any of you guys used the as cast AFR heads, i know they are a chinese casting but the hardware fitted is the good quality AFR stuff, they cost 2K from outlaw speed shop, so i thought at the least I can have a nosey, strip them check everything and go from there.
Okay guys Cheers, Davey, Perth W.A

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't think I'd bother with a mains girdle on an LS as they come from the factory with cross bolt mains.

img_51241_2f11f2e5e06d5043c3b3afbd4350e8fa05d19ba5.jpg

Put in a ARP mains stud kit and call it good.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea 6 bolt mains are pretty good also if ur still n/a without extending the rev range will be fine, just ARP studs n bolts all round id only go girdle if ur big boost hp build

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If your Dart block is an iron block, don't worry about it...