Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Major cat problem

Josh.69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Executive S2
Hey guys,

Okay, I moved into my new house in September. The neighbours behind us have more cats then the local vet has had in the past year. Every single night without fail, there is at least one cat fight, which makes it difficult for everyone to sleep! These cats will be going through our bins, doing their business on my perfect lawn... they are just pests. I NEED A SOLUTION TO FIX THIS! I have called the local council and complained, suprise suprise everything is still the same. They gave us a cat trap for a week, but for our luck we only caught one registered cat which got returned...
Any ideas will be helpful, even if you think they are stupid just tell me them, because i'm at that stage where I can do stupid things.

Cheers.

M

mwb235

Get a big "f--k off" dog? But then you'd have its barking and still have **** on your lawn...

I'd suggest these four things:

(1) Keep onto the council, don't take no for an answer. Ask them what they need from you for them to start doing something about it (i.e. dates/times, photos, witnesses - see if some of your other neighbours nearby are having the same trouble and would back you up etc).

(2) Call the local RSPCA / animal welfare mob and ask them what they suggest. They would intervene if the cats are being neglected etc, not sure about as a nuisance.

(3) Ask your local vet if there's anything you can leave lying around your yard (that cats hate the smell of etc, but not toxic to kids or plants).

(4) Get some (free) legal advice on what your options are - for example from a Chamber Registrar (i.e. at a court house if the Vic Magistrates Courts still offer that service). In NSW we have a free state governement service called LawAccess where people can obtain free legal advice from staff/lawyers via a 1300 number. I am not sure what the equivalent is in Victoria, perhaps call Victoria Legal Aid on 03 9269 0120 and ask them who to call.

I expect you'll get a heap of clever people telling you to shoot the cats etc. That is not humane nor funny. I'd suggest you don't do anything stupid, you'll just get into trouble or make living in your neighbourhood even more difficult. Just remember it's not the cats' fault, it's their stupid owner(s) not looking after them. But it doesn't mean you should have to put up with it, so look at all the options.

Good luck.

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
I had a neighbour's cat who kept walking up to my stairs and pi** all over my door, resulting in my shoes stepping into cat pee every morning. I found good use for my remote control buggy which I used just once to chase away this cat, who has never returned. Sounds like a funny idea, but it worked for me. BTW, I do have cats of my own but they are small and fat furry 'family' members who watch cable tv the whole day.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Keep up with the council, but doubt that will make much difference.

I had issues with neighbour's cats marking my bbq and I use the cat spray you can buy in bunnings. A few times I have snuck up on one and scared the absolute **** out of it.

Cats are not stupid - if you catch them in the act and scare the **** out of them it will be ages before they return.

Keep trapping them - sooner or later someone is going to get the message. If not you can always go crabbing with them :)

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
I expect you'll get a heap of clever people telling you to shoot the cats etc. That is not humane nor funny.

This is exactly what i suggest you do, go get yourself a cross bow an shoot the little ####ers, dont know what the laws are where you live but up here in the territory you dont need a licence if your over 18 just walk in walk out.

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
How is shooting a cat "inhumane", unless your a pretty bad shot they're killed instantly. I'm not saying this is what you should at all, just saying it's not "inhumane".

M

mwb235

This is exactly what i suggest you do, go get yourself a cross bow an shoot the little ####ers, dont know what the laws are where you live but up here in the territory you dont need a licence if your over 18 just walk in walk out.

How is shooting a cat "inhumane", unless your a pretty bad shot they're killed instantly. I'm not saying this is what you should at all, just saying it's not "inhumane".

It is inhumane if it suffers a slow and painful death. Try explaining to a young child as i have had to do before why their beloved pet dragged itself home and bled to death in the yard with an arrow stuck in its back. Why should someone have that done to their pet? Feral cats in the outback sure, they are like any wild animal and often need to be culled. I haven't got anything against shooting wild animals per se as long as it's done in the appropriate way and location (ducks, feral cats and pigs, whatever). I myself went on dunk hunts with one of my uncles when i was younger. But the OP's question is about domestic cats in a residential area not feral cats. Killing the neighbour's pets is not the answer to his problem, as frustrating as it would be for him to have to deal with it.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
get a cheap .22.. itll kill a cat no problems as i have tried it myself
unless your in the city in which case i suggest you try something different

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
get a high fence they cant climb over?

Josh.69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Executive S2
RSPCA, cat spray, local vet, .22 ...
They are my best options in order I guess. Hopefully the first three don't work :gun2:. hahaha!
But if anybody has anymore ideas please share them! :)

Cheers.