Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Major grinding noise from rear end??HELP!

sidrome

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Wagon
I was driving today when i started hearing a minor grinding noise from my back wheels. I stopped checked it out and couldnt find anything. About 2 minutes later i was doing probably 30kph when there was a loud bang from the back end and then i stopped. i tried reversing and there was a loud crunching noise thats where i pulled up and left it. Any ideas what it could be? Its definately from the back end.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
From your description, it could be anything from a shot wheel bearing to carrier or yoke bearing in the diff. Possibly a CV joint on one of the drive shafts Only way to find out is put the car up on stands (not ramps) and start moving the wheels until you locate the source of the noise. Also look at the tailshaft and center bearing. Don't forget to release the handbrake and put the gearshift in neutral. If you are doing this at home, chock both front wheels in front and behind. Less chance of dropping the car on your head.

sidrome

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Wagon
cheers mate that helps alot ill let u know how i go

sidrome

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Wagon
I managed to drive it home about 2ks and was able to notice the noise was coming from the left hand rear wheel. Once i had taken it off and removed the brake disc the noise was gone when spinning the wheel. Inside the brake disc i found half a small cog about 20mm tall that had broken off somewhere. After searching for a while i was to find that it had came off the bottom part of where the drum brake slots in. I still dont know what its for but crisis averted! Hopefully i can get a replacement somewhere. Cheers

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Sounds like handbrake adjusting nut.

sidrome

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Wagon
yep thats it! $17 from holden for the nut and screw that it sits on