Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Major headlight fault

John Heuvel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V V8 Series 2
When I turn my headlights on at night I have a large blank "V" area in the lighting zone. there is very little lighting on the LHS and I cannot see the white lines in the middle of the road due to the "V" dark area. The dealer said they have had similar complaints but GM seem to say it is acceptable. I would like to find someone that has "safety"authority to give me a logical reasonwhy this is acceptable. I am contactable if anyone wants to check out my Dilema
I had better headlights on my '48, EK and HQ than I have on this. Apart from this "safety" feature - in my books- I truly believe this is the best Holden I have had

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2000 Magna
The dealer said they have had similar complaints but GM seem to say it is acceptable.
Take it to a reputable independent mech for assessment. It doesn't sound right.

I would like to find someone that has "safety"authority to give me a logical reasonwhy this is acceptable
I'd suggest contacting your vehicle standards authority (equivalent of NSW RMS) for a proper assessment if the mechanic doesn't give you a satisfactory resolution.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport
Some more info about you car, where you got it new or 2nd hand and when the problem first occured could be helpful.

It could be that one of your globes is not correctly seated into the headlamp assembly. It’s not uncommon for poorly seated globes to throw out an incorrect light pattern from the headlamp. Unfortunately they are a pain to check as access is not like older halogen lamped vehicle’s I’m used to where swapping globes was rather simple as there was clear access to the rear of the headlamp housing via an open bonnet. But it’s something to consider checking.

The other obvious think to say is that if the vehicle is 2nd hand, the previous owner may have done a poor HID globe mod which is the underlying cause BUT I’d assume the dealer would have at least had a quick look for Hid mods and incorrectly seated globes :rolleyes:

In any case as tml678 stated, your rego authority should be able to check the vehicle and provide a written opinion to throw back at the dealer/Holden. Just check what may happen if the consider it not roadworthy o_O

However, the most disturbing think for me is that Holden say it is acceptable to have an unlit areas in front of your vehicle so that the painted road lines can’t be seen with headlamps on. Such an attitude is beyond belief :mad:

As I’m curious to see the lamp projection pattern, could you post a pic of the headlamps shining on a flat wall and also a pic with the lamps shining on the road.

Also keep in mind that headlamps must light up the road according to strict standards and that having a dark patch where there shouldn’t be just seems like your vehicle isn’t fit for night use, a possible ‘non fit for purpose’ classification under Australian Consumer Law which may afford you a few more options to pursue.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Some more info about you car, where you got it new or 2nd hand and when the problem first occured could be helpful.

It could be that one of your globes is not correctly seated into the headlamp assembly. It’s not uncommon for poorly seated globes to throw out an incorrect light pattern from the headlamp. Unfortunately they are a pain to check as access is not like older halogen lamped vehicle’s I’m used to where swapping globes was rather simple as there was clear access to the rear of the headlamp housing via an open bonnet. But it’s something to consider checking.

The other obvious think to say is that if the vehicle is 2nd hand, the previous owner may have done a poor HID globe mod which is the underlying cause BUT I’d assume the dealer would have at least had a quick look for Hid mods and incorrectly seated globes :rolleyes:

In any case as tml678 stated, your rego authority should be able to check the vehicle and provide a written opinion to throw back at the dealer/Holden. Just check what may happen if the consider it not roadworthy o_O

However, the most disturbing think for me is that Holden say it is acceptable to have an unlit areas in front of your vehicle so that the painted road lines can’t be seen with headlamps on. Such an attitude is beyond belief :mad:

As I’m curious to see the lamp projection pattern, could you post a pic of the headlamps shining on a flat wall and also a pic with the lamps shining on the road.

Also keep in mind that headlamps must light up the road according to strict standards and that having a dark patch where there shouldn’t be just seems like your vehicle isn’t fit for night use, a possible ‘non fit for purpose’ classification under Australian Consumer Law which may afford you a few more options to pursue.
I agree
I reckon it's a poorly seated globe.
I put hids in mine and the slightest movement made a significant change in the beam spread. I ended up leaving the lights on and then seating them properly to make sure I got the placement right. Like sky said, they are a pain to get to but taking the wheel off does make it easier.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I think Skylarking is on the money.
My bet is the car is second hand and has had a poor quality install of HID’s.
As far as the dealer comments, they are full of it and just trying to fob you off.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport
I’ve seen workshops roll up to the nose of the car what looks like a set of big glasses with marked cards in front of the lenses. Then they’d check and adjust the headlamp pattern against the markings on those cards. They didn’t even need a wall... and that was also in the time before nappies were disposable :p

Do dealerships even check headlamp levels any more (a rhetorical question) :eek:

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Sedan.
I’ve seen workshops roll up to the nose of the car what looks like a set of big glasses with marked cards in front of the lenses. Then they’d check and adjust the headlamp pattern against the markings on those cards. They didn’t even need a wall... and that was also in the time before nappies were disposable :p

Do dealerships even check headlamp levels any more (a rhetorical question) :eek:
The headlights on my SV6 are woefull….mechanics when rego is due never ever test the beam pattern....when mine is due for rego they take it for the brake test and if all the lights light up...you are good to go....they do not even put it up on the hoist....although I know my holden inside out....as I service the car myself at 6months/8000Kms which ever occurs first....old school from the FC days....when you had to hose the nappies down on the clothes line before putting them in the washing machine.

Last edited:

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Sedan.
UOTE="John Heuvel, post: 2996805, member: 172964"]When I turn my headlights on at night I have a large blank "V" area in the lighting zone. there is very little lighting on the LHS and I cannot see the white lines in the middle of the road due to the "V" dark area. The dealer said they have had similar complaints but GM seem to say it is acceptable. I would like to find someone that has "safety"authority to give me a logical reasonwhy this is acceptable. I am contactable if anyone wants to check out my Dilema
I had better headlights on my '48, EK and HQ than I have on this. Apart from this "safety" feature - in my books- I truly believe this is the best Holden I have had[/QUOTE]

Could be a miss alignment of the filament inside the globe as they are mass produced like every thing else in Riceland....try taking a part back to Repco where the " ball of fluff " behind the counter does not want to give a refund due to her having no knowledge of motor cars and the part to replace it with and is only a " counter jumper " like call centres when you ring them up.....after punching 251 numbers into the phone pad....and your call will be used for training purposes, and your call is important to us etc. etc.

Yes I agree it is the best holden ever produced...I just completed a 7000Km trip up through the centre and the gulf country and never had any trouble with the SV6, road trains and blistering temperatures in 3 weeks....leave your car stock standard and you will easily get 300,000kms without any trouble apart from tyres, batteries and oil etc.

Last edited:

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
when you had to hose the nappies down on the clothes line before putting them in the washing machine.
We did that with our first couple of kids.

When our third came along my wife reckoned we should be taking the nappy off.

You learn from your first one or two...