Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Make auto headlights turn on earlier.

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
I would like the auto headlights to turn on when it's not quite as dark - for visibility etc.

I know that the sensor on the dash controls this, but the manual describes it as an 'environment sensor' which also has functions to do with the A/C in sunny conditions. My first thought was to tint it a little, but I don't want to screw with the A/C and other functions.

Does anyone know if the light setting for the headlights can be adjusted by a service agent?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Wouldn't be possible through a service agent. Would need to reprogram the software for the sensor, the lux value at which it switches.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Pit a dash mat on, it turns mine on even during daylight hours.

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
Depends on the model. The Calais and Caprice have options in the menu to adjust the sensitivity (well at least they did in the VZ). Haven't seen it on the SS-V and lower VE's though.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
I wouldn't think it would make too much difference to the A/C, as it is only one of many sensors the A/C utilizes. Guessing it just wont crank up as high when you go into bright sun automatically. Have you tried calling a few places, like Holden for a start, or maybe doubledip on here? You're really wanting to adjust the lighting control, not the sensor, so it MAY be something in the BCM (or other module) that can be altered via programming. Alternately, before tinting it might be worth just putting some sticky tape over the sensor first. Put enough on to get the headlight setting you want, and just see if you can notice a difference. If it works fine you can tint it, if it does bother you it is easily removed.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Also noticed on my car, the lights come on earlier if the wipers are on. So it's a light threshold that isn't 100% fixed. Also means it could be complex to alter.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Why not just have the light switch on all the time instead of auto. The lights turn off automatically anyway, plus it's safer to have them on 100% of the time. I do in all the cars I drive.