Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Making A Sub-box

A

adsVN

what kind of wood do u use to make a subbie box?
i figure the heavier the better, so it dosent shake around too much..
adam

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
I made my own sub box for my commy. 10 incher i had in the back of the rear seats to i could put the seats up and that.All you need is some MDF sheets from bunnings.. I got some black carpet as well to line it

make the box.. I had to make it with 1 side on an angle to accomidate the back seat angle. Cut the hole for the sub.. put glue all over it.. glued it together.. then covered it with carpet.. I had to make 2 boxes.. the first was made of thick MDF and this was way too heavy.. so stick with the thinner kind.. then i used the baby restraints in the back to bolt the sub to the back of the seat.. wasn't too hard and i didn't have to pay JBhifi 150 bucks for a pre-made box.. all for no less than 50 bucks..

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
just think about it, for a sub box it has to be fairly thick to start with so you can drill it all together without the wood splitting. if your running big subs you'll want a strong box. thats how i see it.. 15mm would be a decent size imo. maybe more:S

T

talgenn

QUOTE (adsVN @ Feb 12 2004, 10:43 PM) so how thick should the wood be?

adam
16mm will be ideal. Dont forget that for each different sub, box sizes are different, make sure you find out from the manufactuer. Also when calculating box size make sure you take measurments from the inside of the box.

Have fun......

A

adsVN

thanks guys for thet info..
just one more thing: does the sub box have to have airholes? wat happens if you dont put them in?
and whats the best tyup of glue/sealier to make it really strong/soundproof?
thanks,
adam

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
just go around the edges with some selleys all clear or any kind of silicone joiner to get no gaps.

its up to you and the type of sub as to whether you have a ported or sealed box.

if its sealed you will have one hole in the box, the circle where the sub sits.
if its ported you will have ports.. usually round that sometimes have tubing running the bass through into the cabin or otherwise.

D

dumpd6

not having air holes makes the bass sharper more like a doof than a drone but I THINK all subs you buy just on there own you need air holes. well im pretty sur the pioneer ones do any way. but i guess all you can do is try a completely sealed box an if it doesn’t sound right then you can always cut holes if you need too

To seal my box I just used screws and liquid nails you also use this crap called Dacron Autobarn told me to get it. it helps deaden the sound as well you get this Dacron stuff from Spotlight (home fabric joint like where you would buy **** for curtains )

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
your best bet would be to look at the manual for the woofer itself, it will tell you what specifcations on box size etc. if not, contact the maker.