Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Making Bourbon

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Troy711 said:
reminds me of one of my favorite episodes of the simpsons where homer becomes the beer baron :p

kaboom!!!!

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
the only way you go blind using this stuff is for it to go horribly wrong and to give you methanol or isobutanol or some other crazy alcohol, do it properly and there is no problem, I can still see fine. Theres no legal size for a booze still in auz its all illegal but they can sell a 5ltr version without any issues but the fine i think is about 75k for an individual. Good luck and have fun, mix it right and you wont taste a thing

monarols71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series11 Ute
I agree with slim. At least it is clean and doesn't give you the rotten headaches of commercial stuff if you over indulge. (unless you get REALLY ripped).
Drinking methanol can make you go blind, not ethanol.
maxy0987 - Tell him to filter (polish) the bloody stuff. Takes all the crap out.

DISCLAIMER: So I'm told ;-)

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
filter it 3 or 4 times, becomes nice and smooth

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
sixshooter said:
Coot Yoot Yoot thars a damn hillbilly postin' on JC !!!
My advice !!!
Don't do it unless you know what your doing and are prepared for the consequences if caught.
I assume you know pure alcohol will make you blind ???
not blind drunk... but Blind need walking cane Blind...
plus its illegal to run a still as far as I know.

Heres some extra info on concentrated alcohol
http://home.howstuffworks.com/alcohol5.htm

It is illegal to run a still, and most people I know who do so aren't very good at it anyway. However I reckon it's a fairly worthwile experiment, even if you just do it for fun.

As already stated by Stupa, ethanol will not blind you, that's methanol that does that. To get harmful amounts of methanol out of an ordinary fermentation and distillation process is pretty much impossible if I remember my Year 12 chemistry correctly. On a side note, if you have access to industrial ethanol I don't reccomend drinking it, as the most pure industrial ethanol (99.8% if memory serves) contains 0.2% drying agents which will seriously root your kidneys and liver, apparently the 98% pure stuff is ok but I wouldn't bet on it though. :hit: Also pure ethanol tastes bad and it takes many distillations to get anywhere near that level of purity.

So basically I say go for it! distill away to your hearts content, just don't kill yaselves ok? ;)

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
hahaha this is funny because last year my ag teacher thought it would be a good idea to make beer in ag...u know and enter it in the local show etc...my two mates in ag thought it was a ripper idea lol...and yeah moonshine was mentioned.

fleet5ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYI equipe sedan and vyII acclaim wagon
Here is some photos of my still

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 388
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 363
  • small still.JPG
    small still.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,502

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
to anyone thats interested, buying all prefab stuff your looking at about 500 bucks to be up and running