Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Making it last!

Keane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hey All, This question relates to my V6 VY Executive. It has 195,000km and so far have had a good run. The Cats went about 2 months ago and had HI Flows put and thought while I'm doing that might as well do the exhaust all up $980.
I want my VY to last as long as it can and was thinking about a few DIY mods to help. Also now that the exhaust is done and everything else is stock it sounds.... not to good, it has that drone to it.
Cold Air intake, Larger throttle body, Manifold spacer and insulator, good leads and plugs. Do you think this would achieve a cheaper, more reliable engine (Extra power is only a bonus).
Also there are some ALL BLACK 19" HSV rims that have been machined down to fit a VY offered to me for $1000 (apparently they were meant for his VY Ute but the offsets on the rears are different to Sedans and he can't use them) is this a good deal? Back to the mods though would a larger MAF be a waste of time on top of the other mods and should I change the Manifold gasket while I'm at it?

Cheers

kyalkk

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pac
all mentioned above will gain you power and not hurt fuel econ in my experiences anyway, so if you want to spend money thats a good place to start imo.
Also what exhaust are you running for it to drone?
And regular oil and filter changes will be your best friend if you want it to last

Keane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
To be honest I'm not sure what exhaust was fitted except it was 2 1/2" with the two Hi Flow Cats. I thought if I add a few bolt on mods, the engine would sound better and hence sound better at the back end as well. I also think a tune would make a huge difference, do you agree? What do you think about the rims going off what was detailed in the original thread?

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
If you want it to last just keep it stock and just service it regularly. kms on an engine mean little IMO. a 30 000km engine could have had the ring flogged out of it and it could be tired..... where as a 200 000 km engine could have been serviced well all its life and not thrashed day in day out.

get a ressy fitted to the back of the exhaust to cut the drone down, the v6's sound like a$$... i know, i own one lol.

Throw a quality air filter in there and away you go! should have many more years of reliable motoring. .....(sounds like an ad) haha

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
KISS theory applies here. Don't polish a turd n it'll perform as it was engineered to with a few preventitive maintenance bits along the way

Keane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Thanks fellas, that's some goods advice and will take it on board but I think it too late for me as it has sparked the devil in side of me and the want to Mod the engine has take over, lol. I'll forget the Larger throttle body (for now) and with a bit loose change I pick up along the way start with the CAI + Spacer + Insulator. Also where I work i can pick up some silicon tubing cheep and use that in my CAI.
However I know there isn't any pics of the RIMS (Includes tyres) but from the sounds of it, What do people think? Are 19"s too big?

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
19's are the biggest size i would go without looking a bit stupid... actually 19's are the best size imo
thats not to say some 20's dont look really good but most of the time they look retarded

also do the exhaust before you do the CAI...much bigger gains to be made from a good exhuast where as the stock airbox breathes reasonably well for a stockish motor