Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Making my ve more fuel efficient ?

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Hello everyone

I currently own a 08 ve omega v6 (not sidi) duel fuel with a after market prins vsi LPG system. I get around 400-500km on 68 usable liters doing mixed city and freeway driving.

I'm thinking whether to get headers/extractors and cold air intake. Reading all the specs for these parts it mentions the headers can improve fuel economy as there's more flow compared to the stock exhaust manifold and the cai improves fuel economy aswell.

Can both these parts above actually give me a good result in seeing me gaining more km out of a tank of petrol/gas ?

Being a ve is it actually possible to make it more fuel efficient with the above mods and maybe more added ?

Add your thoughts/discussion below :)

Thanks

gmoulds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SS M6
Hi,
I have a 2012 SS, installed 4-1 Headers, VCM OTR and got a Tune when from 13.8 to 11.6 Avg l/100. + extra 50kw. I would expect V6 would also improve.

Regards

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
regullary get 600 to 650kms out of our duel fuel 08 Berlina(factory gas 73L tank. Maybe the aftermarket system is running rich????

I'm surprised with the old 4spd the econony we get avg speed is around 45km/h

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
regullary get 600 to 650kms out of our duel fuel 08 Berlina(factory gas 73L tank. Maybe the aftermarket system is running rich????

I'm surprised with the old 4spd the econony we get avg speed is around 45km/h

ive had my gas system tuned so it isnt running rich as all. Im assuming its always going to be better a factory system over a aftermarket system.

Are those 600km city or freeway driving ?

So if i get the above mods and possibly a tune, will i possibly get better fuel economy ?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Mainly city and some 90hr expressway(good in morning avg at night drive home) avg speed always around 45km/h

Best i got was 700km out of a tank on the highway.

Remeber the factory system runs on petrol a few kms before switch over so 600km is probally 550 on gas 50 petrol

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Are you aware that Commodore fuel tanks cannot be emptied of fuel by the fuel pump when driving. There is always a quantity of fuel remaining in order to keep fuel pressure, flow and temperatures maintained. The only accurate way is to fill both tanks, taking note of the odometer reading, drive a distance 300 - 500 km, take note of the readings on the odometer, fill the tanks, do some maths. Having discovered how many kilometres you have travelled to calculate your fuel consumption.

Here's a reminder of how to perform calculation(s):

To calculate l/100km

To calculate km per litre divide the number of kilometres driven by the amount of fuel placed into your tank. The results are not very meaningful in the world of motoring.

To convert to litres per hundred kilometres (l/100km much more recognised and meaningful in motoring world) DO THE FOLLOWING:

Divide 100 by your km per litre figure that you previously calculated.

In answer to your initial question 'How to make your VE more fuel efficient' you need to understand that the harder/further/more you use the accelerator the more fuel you will use. Drive the vehicle using the accelerator as if there was an egg placed under it and you don't wish to crush the egg with the pedal. In other words nice and easy, gently at all times. You will also use more fuel consistent with the weight you are attempting to move. The more weight in your vehicle the more fuel you will use. Speed is also another factor. Sometimes a higher speed will use more fuel, HOWEVER have you ever noticed that on a long sustained journey with few stops or variation to your speed, even a constant speed such as 100 km/ph, your fuel consumption will gradually drop the longer you continue driving under such conditions. Why ? because you are not constantly accelerating, braking, accelerating etc. Remember, every time you slow or apply the brakes you will use additional fuel in order to regain your desired 'cruising' speed.You can also clean the MAF Sensor in the air intake, also make sure that the Air Cleaner element is clean and no obstructions (dirt, grime etc).

For example if the results you obtained of say 11.82 kilometres per litre then the formula is: 100 divided by 11.82 = 8.46 which is litres per hundred kilometres

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
As Benboy has said, generally speaking if there's more power on tap you are more likely to make use of it which then may make your car seem less economical.

From my past experience (With Holdens & other car makes) a tune is always going to gain the best results when it comes to fuel economy. Yes, making the exhaust flow better & getting an intake so the engine can breath better is an advantage, but it can also mean you push your power & torque bands higher up the rev range. IE: Car may use more fuel off the line due to a torque drop at low revs.

Most cars will have a specific way to get the most out of it. For example, my Liberty GT (Auto with heaps & heaps of mods) gave you better economy by giving first a bit of a boot - Getting into boost - then driving under boost the rest of the way. As it only had a 2.0LT engine, the lack of torque down low ment & under boost was poor & therefore used more fuel. Whereas my old EVO X, to get the best out of it you had to keep it under boost all the time as it chewed the fuel when it came on song.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
In answer to your initial question 'How to make your VE more fuel efficient' you need to understand that the harder/further/more you use the accelerator the more fuel you will use. Drive the vehicle using the accelerator as if there was an egg placed under it and you don't wish to crush the egg with the pedal. In other words nice and easy, gently at all times. You will also use more fuel consistent with the weight you are attempting to move. The more weight in your vehicle the more fuel you will use. Speed is also another factor. Sometimes a higher speed will use more fuel, HOWEVER have you ever noticed that on a long sustained journey with few stops or variation to your speed, even a constant speed such as 100 km/ph, your fuel consumption will gradually drop the longer you continue driving under such conditions. Why ? because you are not constantly accelerating, braking, accelerating etc. Remember, every time you slow or apply the brakes you will use additional fuel in order to regain your desired 'cruising' speed.You can also clean the MAF Sensor in the air intake, also make sure that the Air Cleaner element is clean and no obstructions (dirt, grime etc).

Maybe not. See below.

As Benboy has said, generally speaking if there's more power on tap you are more likely to make use of it which then may make your car seem less economical.

From my past experience (With Holdens & other car makes) a tune is always going to gain the best results when it comes to fuel economy. Yes, making the exhaust flow better & getting an intake so the engine can breath better is an advantage, but it can also mean you push your power & torque bands higher up the rev range. IE: Car may use more fuel off the line due to a torque drop at low revs.

Most cars will have a specific way to get the most out of it. For example, my Liberty GT (Auto with heaps & heaps of mods) gave you better economy by giving first a bit of a boot - Getting into boost - then driving under boost the rest of the way. As it only had a 2.0LT engine, the lack of torque down low ment & under boost was poor & therefore used more fuel. Whereas my old EVO X, to get the best out of it you had to keep it under boost all the time as it chewed the fuel when it came on song.

Yes, each car will respond slightly differently.

It's not always so that being gentle with the accelerator will produce the most economical travel. All ICE's, but especially spark ignition engines, have thermal efficiencies that vary with engine speed and load. In general, low rpm (but not too low) and higher engine loads are more efficient. Higher loads are better up to the point where the PCM starts to add extra fuel to preserve the engine. At all times (unnecessary) braking is bad.

The right technique is to accelerate fairly rapidly, often more rapidly than most people usually do, and then back off and coast. The advantage goes away if you have to brake more so make the space to allow the acceleration, and lift off early and coast when slowing down for red lights etc..

With direct injection you'll probably pick up less gain by altering driving style than with manifold injection because the direct injection allows some lean operation without throwing the NOx sky high (through stratified charge). You should see greater gain % wise on LPG (port injection).

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Thanks for the input guys

Anymore help on what I could possibly do to help me get more km out of a tank ? Maybe some mods or tuning ?

Let me know about anything :)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
You get the best figures when you drive your car full to just about empty.
I`ve tested a few of my car and found topping up is false economy.