Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Malibu Underestimated?

Discussion in 'Malibu' started by ben315vz, Jan 15, 2017.

1. ben315vz

ben315vz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    '05 Holden VZ Calais V8
    Seriously, has anyone ever gone to see one of these cars or taken one for a drive?

[​IMG]

I never really thought much about these cars, but recently I hired a car from Thrifty, and they ended up giving me a free upgrade to a brand new 2016 Holden Malibu CD Sedan.

I didn't really know what to expect, but as soon as I sat inside it I was impressed. Key proximity (don't need to touch the key to unlock or lock, just keep it in your pocket), push button start, electric handbrake, well... electric everything. Dash lights up very nice at night, with even lights in the door trims and passenger side of the dash, makes it look very modern.

[​IMG]

Driving the car was a very pleasant experience. Steering was so nice and smooth, suspension was very comfortable, and was very quiet on the road. Even the engine was impressive for a 4 cylinder. I have driven 6 cylinders that felt like they have less power than this car. (This one was the 2.4 litre petrol, 6 speed auto).

The only downside though, even though it has a nice large touch screen display, it had no SAT NAV. But other than that, I could not fault this car one bit. It has more features than most other luxury cars out there, and if I was looking at buying a mid sized car, this would definitely be one that I would highly consider.

I have read that they will be making some changes in the coming years, like LED tail lights and a turbocharged petrol version. Will definitely be keeping my eye on it.

On a side note, I understand that these are the type of cars that killed the Commodore and the Falcon, which I know will be missed greatly, and I would still rather a Falcon or Commodore over these cars, but seeing as though they are no longer going to be in production, we have to look elsewhere for options on what car to get now and I just thought I would share my opinion on this one as I have had the opportunity to drive one for a week.

Let me know your opinions of these cars.

2. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Maybe misunderstood? I think a lot of people just see them as boring more than anything.

Can't really say I've seen Holden pushing them much either.

3. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon, VK Clubbie race car
    .. a shocker! I drove one at their launch . drivers seat too low, poor all round vision
    back seat not suitable for those over 160cm in height, wooly indirect steering
    and lazy style yankee auto trans

I recently was given one as a loan car by a dealer (while mine was in for service)
    and my comments for the launch day are unchanged (it really is no better than the EPICA which it replaced)

A Toyota Camry is a far superior vehicle ..... (and Holden wonder why it does not sell)

4. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Oh dear.... Don't think I'd want to be a Holden dealer in 2018.

VS_Pete likes this.
  5. ben315vz

ben315vz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    '05 Holden VZ Calais V8
    You must be short if you think the seat is too low, it has electric seats with height adjustment. I am short but was able to adjust it to the perfect height

6. Sean880

Sean880 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
    That's the old model - the US 2015 model.

The 2017 car is not a bad looking thing by comparison and is available in the US in top spec ("Premier") with a 2 litre turbocharged engine with decent HP and torque. But I doubt you will see that version sold here.
    Unfortunately GM have a bad habit of taking an import and specifying a horrible grand dad grille on it which ruins the look of the car. The US chev frontal area designs are much better in comparison.

Pictures and specs of 2017 cars..................

http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu-mid-size-car/exterior-pictures.html
    http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu-mid-size-car/specs/trims.html

Smitty likes this.
  7. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    I'd love to know how many Malibu's have sold across Australia. They've been on sale for about 3 or 4 years and are the invisible Holden. You hardly see one.

8. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    at 176cm and with the seat fully up I struggled to see the 4 corners (in fact any corner) of the car... hence my comment about too low a seat
    and
    also the reason behind my comment about poor rear head room

9. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    Malibu was Holden's answer to a question nobody in Australia was asking. Are they still on sale?

lmoengnr likes this.
  10. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    Not the most inspiring vehicle. But surely Holden could have sold more if they had done some marketing instead of relying just on Commodore sales. Think the last decent medium/ small Holden's were the Torana/ Gemini!!!!!

11. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Not_An_Abba_Fan Exhaust Guru

Members Ride:
    Strange Rover
    Surely the Camira was the last decent small Holden.

Calaber likes this.
  12. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    Well it was car of the year I suppose!!!

13. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    .. no AFAIK (seem to recall a recent press release or article that they had been withdrawn)
    but they may be the odd one left around the country in dealer stock

14. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    The Camira was the most vilifued but under-rated Holden. I had four of them. One of each model. Wagon and sedan, manual and auto.

For their day they were roomy and comfortable. Extremely economical and handled well.

They were ruined by being thrown together by an uncaring workforce and being initially fitted with an engine that was too small.

Reaper and Smitty like this.
  15. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    The torque steer was also atrocious and compared to the Camry of the day they fell well short.

16. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    Gotta say I agree. Compared to it's peers - Mazda 323, Ford Laser and the like they drove exceptionally well. Unfortunately the early motors had soft rings and literally pumped smoke out before they were rebuilt. Rust was also terrible in the early JB's as well. By the time the JE's were released most of the problems were well and truly sorted however the stigma of the early models pretty much sealed their fate.

There are a few little known features about JB Camiras however:
    1. They skim like stones over water if you go fast enough
    2. The sign in the Jameson state forest that says 4WD only should read 4WD+Camiras
    3. Broken engine mounts could be rectified by small branches and other wildlife

lmoengnr likes this.
  17. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Noe.

Can't agree about the torque steer being excessive and certainly not when power steering was fitted.

The JB didn't develop enough torque to cause any problems. The first JD with MPFI was torquey but PS nullified any issues. The JE wasn't a problem either.

The second series Camry was a nice thing to drive at the time but couldn't match the Camira's handling. I had quite a bit of experienc with all these cars and enjoyed driving them all. The JD multi point 1.8 with the clise ratio 5 speed was a lot of fun. Plenty of grunt, good ratio soacing and taut handling. It's a pity they were so poorly made because the basic design was very sound.

Okay. Enough about Camiras. Back to the Malibu. Does anybody have an idea how many have been sold?

18. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    We had a small fleet of Camrys and Camiras for general staff use. Used to be funny to watch all the Camrys disappear from the car park and all the Camiras sit around with no one wanting to drive them. They would even wait for someone with a Camry to return rather than take a Camira out.

19. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    It's very much a matter of personal preference. I used to drive departmental JE Executive autos and rental Camrys during the same period in 87 to 88.

Both were good to drive by the standards of the late 80's. The Camry was bigger and roomier but the Camira was more of a driver's car as the suspension was firmer.

I had my four Camiras later on based on my experience during that time.

Camrys might be better built (well, we know they are) but they are pretty unexciting and there is no way I would ever own one of the bloody things. The car you buy before you die. And every truly shithouse older driver I experience on the road is driving a Camry.

20. Brettly-2008

Brettly-2008 Active Member

Members Ride:
    WM Statesman - VE SS Commodore
    A friend of my partner's has one and I've spent a bit of time in the passenger seat and while I agree the ambient interior lighting is a nice feature, it's an otherwise plain Jane form of transport in my view. Just another four-wheel appliance a notch or two above a Hyundai.