Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Malibu Underestimated?

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Seriously, has anyone ever gone to see one of these cars or taken one for a drive?

cd5690982143142640449.jpg

I never really thought much about these cars, but recently I hired a car from Thrifty, and they ended up giving me a free upgrade to a brand new 2016 Holden Malibu CD Sedan.

I didn't really know what to expect, but as soon as I sat inside it I was impressed. Key proximity (don't need to touch the key to unlock or lock, just keep it in your pocket), push button start, electric handbrake, well... electric everything. Dash lights up very nice at night, with even lights in the door trims and passenger side of the dash, makes it look very modern.

20130614083551464.jpg.jpg

Driving the car was a very pleasant experience. Steering was so nice and smooth, suspension was very comfortable, and was very quiet on the road. Even the engine was impressive for a 4 cylinder. I have driven 6 cylinders that felt like they have less power than this car. (This one was the 2.4 litre petrol, 6 speed auto).

The only downside though, even though it has a nice large touch screen display, it had no SAT NAV. But other than that, I could not fault this car one bit. It has more features than most other luxury cars out there, and if I was looking at buying a mid sized car, this would definitely be one that I would highly consider.

I have read that they will be making some changes in the coming years, like LED tail lights and a turbocharged petrol version. Will definitely be keeping my eye on it.

On a side note, I understand that these are the type of cars that killed the Commodore and the Falcon, which I know will be missed greatly, and I would still rather a Falcon or Commodore over these cars, but seeing as though they are no longer going to be in production, we have to look elsewhere for options on what car to get now and I just thought I would share my opinion on this one as I have had the opportunity to drive one for a week.

Let me know your opinions of these cars.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Maybe misunderstood? I think a lot of people just see them as boring more than anything.

Can't really say I've seen Holden pushing them much either.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. a shocker! I drove one at their launch . drivers seat too low, poor all round vision
back seat not suitable for those over 160cm in height, wooly indirect steering
and lazy style yankee auto trans

I recently was given one as a loan car by a dealer (while mine was in for service)
and my comments for the launch day are unchanged (it really is no better than the EPICA which it replaced)

A Toyota Camry is a far superior vehicle ..... (and Holden wonder why it does not sell)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
A Toyota Camry is a far superior vehicle ..... (and Holden wonder why it does not sell)

Oh dear.... Don't think I'd want to be a Holden dealer in 2018.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
.. a shocker! I drove one at their launch . drivers seat too low, poor all round vision
back seat not suitable for those over 160cm in height, wooly indirect steering
and lazy style yankee auto trans

I recently was given one as a loan car by a dealer (while mine was in for service)
and my comments for the launch day are unchanged (it really is no better than the EPICA which it replaced)

You must be short if you think the seat is too low, it has electric seats with height adjustment. I am short but was able to adjust it to the perfect height

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
That's the old model - the US 2015 model.

The 2017 car is not a bad looking thing by comparison and is available in the US in top spec ("Premier") with a 2 litre turbocharged engine with decent HP and torque. But I doubt you will see that version sold here.
Unfortunately GM have a bad habit of taking an import and specifying a horrible grand dad grille on it which ruins the look of the car. The US chev frontal area designs are much better in comparison.

Pictures and specs of 2017 cars..................

http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu-mid-size-car/exterior-pictures.html
http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu-mid-size-car/specs/trims.html

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'd love to know how many Malibu's have sold across Australia. They've been on sale for about 3 or 4 years and are the invisible Holden. You hardly see one.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
You must be short if you think the seat is too low, it has electric seats with height adjustment. I am short but was able to adjust it to the perfect height

at 176cm and with the seat fully up I struggled to see the 4 corners (in fact any corner) of the car... hence my comment about too low a seat
and
also the reason behind my comment about poor rear head room

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Malibu was Holden's answer to a question nobody in Australia was asking. Are they still on sale?

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Not the most inspiring vehicle. But surely Holden could have sold more if they had done some marketing instead of relying just on Commodore sales. Think the last decent medium/ small Holden's were the Torana/ Gemini!!!!!