Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manifold glowing red

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
he is correct, the new zealand Vn's were never fitted with o2 sensor/ CAT. mine doesn't have them either. the way it works is that the ecu works in "open loop" mode, just like your VN's, the ecu doesn't use the signal from the o2 sensor until it has reached operating temp whne the ecu is using the signal from the o2 sensor it is considered to be in "closed loop" mode. the ecu uses the signal from the o2 sensor to modify the base fuel map that holden put in your memcal, basically it makes adjustments for the variation in the day to day weather conditons i.e. air temp, humidity, pressure etc. the ecu basically only operates in "closed loop" mode when your cruising and all it's really doing is leaning out the A/F ratio for economy. when you mash the go pedal through the floor it goes back to "open loop" mode to protect the engine i.e. it runs richer to stop detonation etc.

the question i have is, why is it idling at 3000rpm??? is the engine check light on when the engine is running, read some of the other forums on howto check this, did you seperate the coil pack from the DFI module??? if so you may need to check that the connections are correct between the 2 units or otherwise borrow a known good unit from another vehicle (your VP maybe???) clean the throttle body with some carb cleaner especially the IAC valve, check the vacuum hose that runs from the back ofthe TB to the MAP sensor, replace if it looks suspect, i.e. cracking etc

whats the car like to drive, is it guttless, does it idle high when driving??? is it an auto or manual??

modcon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VN 3.8 / VP 3.8
The car is not idling at 3000rpm, it idles 1000rpm, I have already tried a coil and dfi from a VP, still the same, I have had the throttle body and sensors changes, I havn't put carb cleaner in though. The hose between the throttle body and map sensor is sweet. I'll try some carb cleaner tommorow and let you know, FYI when I idle the car has an air bubble sound that goes through the exhaust like popping.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
modcon said:
The car is not idling at 3000rpm, it idles 1000rpm, I have already tried a coil and dfi from a VP, still the same, I have had the throttle body and sensors changes, I havn't put carb cleaner in though. The hose between the throttle body and map sensor is sweet. I'll try some carb cleaner tommorow and let you know, FYI when I idle the car has an air bubble sound that goes through the exhaust like popping.
The noise sounds like a miss. Check the leads and plugs. See if any plugs are fouled.
AirStrike :air:

modcon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dude new spark plugs and leads, I would tend to think this is eletrical

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
pull all the plugs, does one look different from the others? they should have a light tan look to them. if ones black it indicates that cylinder is fouling, likewise if one is very white it indicates that cylinder is lean( do this when the engine is hot). check all the gaps the same, i've had a rough running engine and found one spark plug gap was considerably smaller then the others, i was being lazy and didn't check 'em when i put them in straight from the shop. one of my mates had a prob with the engine runnign rough, pulled it down, couldn't find anything wrong with it, put it all back, still same prob:bang: in the end they found the damper in the fuel line after the fuel pump was stuffed and the fuel pressure was high..... one other thing to try is to check the injectors, when the engine is running, put on some earmuffs, get a long screw driver, put the sharp end against each injector in turn whilst holding the handle to one of the muffs, you should hear a ticking noise as the injector fires.... no ticking = faulty injector. run some injector cleaner through if this test fails to find anything you may just have a clogged injector???? you may need to pull the injectors out and have them cleaned proffesionally

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
I can tell you exactly what the problem is as I came across the same thing on a customers car and I was pulling my hair out for two days trying to find the problem. The car will idle rough and the exhaust manifolds will glow bright orange under revving. Still havent picked it!!! Have you had your harmonic balancer replaced recently or heard a clunking sound when switching off the engine. What has happened is the timing is out on the vehicle but still enough to keep it running but lean enough to give a really lean mixture to the cylinders!! Remove your harmonic balancer and check the keyway for damage and if all is OK then just replace the balancer and problem fixed!! I just saved you hundreds of diagnostic hours and money with this fix. Let me know how it goes. Betcha a case it fixes it!! These sorts of difficult diagnostic problems come up occassionaly and thats why Ive got no hair left!!

modcon

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have had the Pully off, and the little groove was damaged, I haven't replaced it just put it back on. I will take the one off my mate VN (wrecking) put it on my one and let you know how it goes, thanks finally someone who has a solution that doesn't involve plugs and leads LOL!!!!

raised_fist

94 VR BT1
Reaction score
sorry for gettin off the subject of this thread, but how the @%^! do you post new threads in this forum, i've got a front end clunk in my 94 VR bt1
(sounds like the front end), but the prob sounds diff to every other post on here about front end clunks
just say when u take a left turn, it sounds like somethings clunking to the right, but if u take another left, it won't happen, until you turn right, then it'll clunk to the left, driving me nuts for a while now
would appreciate any thoughts on the subject
cheers