Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manifold ports

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is it a worthwhile getting the ports on my manifold smoothed out. I may not be able to have it done as they won't have time. But I'm wondering if I should get small stone on the drill and touch them up myself.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
For n/a not really necessary as air goes through throttle it smacks straight into restrictive curved elbow then finally into an ordinary manifold design.

You could put a tonne of hours into it for very little gain unless chop manifold up to put throttle body on top or up front which probably hurt low down torque.

Turbo gives no farks for those inconsistences which is why when done correctly dudes were getting big results out of their buicks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I bought a piece of dowel and some emery before I saw your post GTR. I'm thinking I might as well smooth out the rough casting around the ports. I have some time tomorrow night to play.
If I had thought about it yesterday I would have brought the die grinder back and spent some time smoothing out the exterior casting on the manifold for some wank factor. But I was too caught up in painting that I never gave it a thought.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Knock the casting marks/dags off if you want & take out the plastic bellmouth to see if it makes a difference.

Mine felt little more responsive down low yet rougher so I basically trimmed it down to half original size & left it at that...barely noticed the difference but was a free mod & some spare time to experiment.

But yeah better time spent making it look pretty lol

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
As said, knock the casting dags off, and smooth/even out anything that looks rough/inconsistent.
Try not to change the shape much of anything unless you really know what you are doing.

Might get you 1/4 horse power and an extra kilometer per tank. But time is free as such.