Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VL] Manifold stud access? vl

tysonVL

L Plater..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL sl
Hi,
just wondering the easiest way to access the rear manifold studs because one has snapped. It's flush with the hole and i've got all the stuff I need to get it out, (easy out etc) but need to find a way to get in there, or will I need to take the whole thing apart till it's possible?

Thanks

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You will need a right angled drill bit attachment if you are drilling it.

The way I get them out is to weld a nut to the end of the stud and just screw it out. Even if it is flush with the head, the weld doesn't stick to the alloy so it will come straight out.

tysonVL

L Plater..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL sl
But how do I get in there? There's no way to access it that I can see. It's the bottom rear stud and there seems to be no room at all.. the only reason I know it's stuffed is that they said when I tried taking it for pink slip.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You will need to remove the manifold to get it out. To give you a bit more room, you can remove the heat shield down there too.

tysonVL

L Plater..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL sl
damn it.. I thought that might be the case, but was hoping it wasn't. Just don't want to snap any more stud's

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The VL's are notorious for snapping studs because of the design of the manifold. Most of the holes are slotted and the studs use two washers. The theory is that alloy and cast iron expand and contract at different rates, so the idea was to let the manifold slide against the head as it heated up and cooled down. Unfortunately all that does is bend the studs, so eventually they break. Front and rear studs were the worst for it. Even undoing the rest and getting them out will break some of them.