Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual conversion, moving tail staft mount?

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
You could weld a spanner onto the rounded bolts.

I do have a question for ya, when you pulled appart your manual car, what else was there in the gear-shift assembly beside the riveted metal plate, and the two rubber boots? I get the feeling i'm missing something as it looks a little dodgy.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
You could weld a spanner onto the rounded bolts.

I do have a question for ya, when you pulled appart your manual car, what else was there in the gear-shift assembly beside the riveted metal plate, and the two rubber boots? I get the feeling i'm missing something as it looks a little dodgy.

what makes you think youre missing something. have you got the big rubber boot that goes onto the big hole in the metal plate and seals around the gearstick?

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
If your going to start welding spanners onto rounded bolts be careful not to damage the computer....remember the insulation in that area can also be flamable. The easier way if you can try it first is I'm guessing you used a standardard socket on an extention bar to attempt to take the bellhouse bolts out. If they are not damaged to much try a single hex socket. If that doesn't work a hammer and cold chisle may be you only bet. Just remember to leave a bell housing bolt in until you are ready to drop the box. The last thing you want is the torque converter jamming when the box is half hanging out and tranny oil is going all over your driveway....better you than me hope your doing it on a houst and not on your back with stands......

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
what makes you think youre missing something. have you got the big rubber boot that goes onto the big hole in the metal plate and seals around the gearstick?

Yes i have that bit, and it looks like it SHOULD seal around that hole, but it's a bit too small and it can fall through the hole. Unless i'm supposed to stretch it over or something? Hence it isn't sealing properly. Is it possible i have a getrag plate and the boot for the T5 is smaller?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
maybe yours has broken with age. check out a photo of it on ebay and compare with yours. a new one costs about $25. they make a huge difference to the amount of road noise you get

t-rav

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
Ok bolt is out got it out today by grinding two of the sides of the bolt head to a flat 14mm(ish) size then bashed a 14mm spanner on then using a peice of steel pipe as an extension i got the sucker off!!! :w00t:

as for the rubber boot you must have the wrong one because it should not be able to fit through the hole ...

Manual goes in on friday or maybe tomorrow night depending on what time i get home from tafe ..