Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual conversion, moving tail staft mount?

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Manual conversion, tailshaft

The distance between the splined gearbox output and the tailstaft mount is shorter on manual than auto. Do i have to just use the front half of the manual shaft or what? If so, does the tailshaft need to be balanced again?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Yes if you seperate the centre uni joint you can just put a manual front half onto it instead. You will also need a different yoke to insert into the manual box as im pretty sure it is different to the auto. If you do this it would be advisable to get it balanced as you will likely end up with a bit of driveline vibration. Idealy would be to source a complete manual tailshaft if possible.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
I do have a complete manual tailshaft, but when i put it in, the mounting holes for the centre uni joint don't line up. If i do line them up, the rear part of the tailshaft is too long to connect to the diff. The only way to do it as is would be to move the mounting bolt holes.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
How far are the mounting holes out by? Do the lengths/mounts work out correct if you were to use the manual front half and auto rear half or use the complete auto tailshaft with the manual yoke on the end?

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holes are out by about 10cm, don't know if it'd work using the manual front and auto rear, depends where the uni joint splits and what side the mount comes off with. Using the manual yoke on the end of the auto shaft would work. It would mean disassembling the end uni, is that difficult?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Disassembling a uni joint is not hard if you have a general mechanical knowledge and toolkit. I've done a few of them but rather that type up a huge list of procedures i've just attached this weblink which explains it better than I could have anyway lol.

DIY: Replacing Universal Joints

Hope that helps.

t-rav

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
hey mate,
im pulling my auto out tomorrow to make way for my manual box and was just woundering if i will need to use the manual stater motor or will the auto one work fine with the manual fly wheel???

and after reading ur thread was woundering whether u converted a VR or VS ??
you have me worried that i will run into this same problem of tail shaft bracket not lineing up ..... i have my complete manual shaft so i'm praying mine just lines up haha

any help would be great

trav

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
You will need a manual starter motor. The auto starter motor has a spindle snout that will not clear the bell housing. I converted a VS using a T5 gearbox from a VR.

The only reason my tailshaft did not line up was because the donor car was a wagon, my car is a sedan. I tried changing the splined gearbox connection, but gave up as i couldn't separate the uni joint. Ended up having to disconnect the CV joint in the middle and swap the front of the manual shaft onto my old auto shaft. Bolted up fine then.

About one more day i reckon before i can reverse it off the stands! Good luck!

t-rav

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
Awsome thanks mate

i have started pulling apart the auto today and of course i ran into way more problem that when i pulled apart the manual car ...

exhaust is out , drive shaft is out and auto is ready for removal but of course the transmittion brackets bolts have decided that only two of them are goin to come out and the other two have rounded on me .... what luck !

i started cutting one off but now have thought ' how am i goin to get it out when it has no head on it ... :bang:

so pretty much ready to blow my car up and frustration has definatly reached boiling point . haha

awsome mate let me know when u've got urs up and up and running :thumbsup: