Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual conversion questions

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Hey guys i do apologise this has probably been done to death but here goes,
Halfway through the year i plan to sell the vl and upgrade to a preferably a vx, maybe even a vt. Anyway my question is is it worth spending the extra money people want just becuase its a factory manual or is it cheaper to buy an automatic and convert it. I know prices will probably varey a bit from state to state but im just after a rough estimate so i can work out how much i have to spend and how much i need to save etc, i will probably be doing all of the labour myself.
So far i have come up with a list
Gearbox
Pedal ass.
Manual surround
clutch ( don't need a price on this one)
clutch m/cylinder

I may be forgetting something though,
Cheers

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I'm tempted to do a manual conversion on my car down the track too.
Don't know if it'd be something I could do by myself or with friends, although I'd like to.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
factory manual would definatly be the easier option but as with every crumbledore the owners want an extra 2-3k just becuase it's a manual. I will do the same when i go to sell me car tho :p Mirkz diy if you can, the satasfaction is awesome and you will save more atleast 800 bucks. Just grab a friend or two and a case of cold ones :)

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
yeah i'm holding onto mine... factory ls1 and manual

how is conversions??? like done well is it indistinguishable from factory?

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
i converted my v6 vt from auto to manual wasnt too hard, i used a t5 gearbox though, cost me about $800 the most expensive bit was gettin the tailshaft made up which was $270. i did it all myself but. and yes it is well worth it! i am currently turboing the vt as we speak hehe

TA 91 WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII 5.7 LS1
Im confused :hmmm: do you have a facotry ls1 manual ? and whats with the last bit?

I think what he means is, when you convert the auto to the manual, how hard is it to tell the difference.

I'm not sure if he means cosmetically or performance wise or both.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I think he was referring to what TA 91 WA suggested.
Whether converting a factory auto to manual would leave any 'tell tale' signs or whether performance there is a difference between the two.

It's definitely something I enjoy reading up on as one day down the track I think I might like to do this myself also.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair enough, im still a little confused but anywhoo, It's definatly one of the first things ill be doing, i cant stand auto's yes there easy and lazy but it's not driving imo. If i get a vt auto it will be cosmeticly changing it to a vx then manual box or a vx straight to a manual box. I'm only looking at the standard 's though, becuase i know no s/c ones came out in manual and v8's are a little out of my budget