Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

manual conversion URGENT!!

IhateRICE!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS Atlas Grey
hye guys i'm planing on converting my series 1 VN commodore auto to a manual and i've found a series 1 VN manual is it possible to just swap gearboxes or do i have to change engine aswell??

Cheers Guys

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
im about to do the exact same thing, you need either a special flywheel or a crank adapter from CRS.

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
if its a series one engine then you will need to change the engine or the crank, S1 auto cranks are 5 bolt and the manuals are 6 or if CRS do make a 5 bolt flywheel that would be the cheaper way out

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
all VN S1's autos and manuals are 6 bolt... its in the manual.

thats what i thought. i alway's thought it was where you went from a s1 to a s2 gearbag there were issues.

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Last edited:

IhateRICE!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS Atlas Grey
is there any chance of just swapping the bellhousing? sounds a abit stupid i just bought another car worth 900 bucks and i only bought the POS for the gearbox so i just planing on swapping geaxboxes but no holden had to make it difficult :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

IhateRICE!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS Atlas Grey
or why can't i just use the flywheel from the donor car ( manual ) and use it?? i'm just trying to get this done quick and cheap so

lilredwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon
flywheel issues...

The s1 manual and auto cranks are different - both are six bolt, but vastly different in the flange size, which is why CRS do an adaptor as mentioned previously.
your choices are to use the CRS adaptor (expensive), use the crank from the donor car along with new bearings, gaskets and seals (probably just as expensive) or use the manual s1 motor from the donor car (more affordable?).
Just remember that the flywheel bolts are "torque to yield" (use once only) and will need to be replaced.

IhateRICE!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS Atlas Grey
ignore that last post mind block