Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual or Auto License

Do you have a Manual or Auto License

• Manual License

Votes: 177 75.6%
  • Auto License

Votes: 50 21.4%
  • No License

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I'm going for manual, An the only manual i have around is my sisters VY SS 6speed... Never figured out what the 6th gears for so far :) haha

But yeh, My car's auto, My bro's is auto, Dad's is auto, Sisters husbands is auto, but everyone has manual license, because back in the day when they all had there show cars, Mustangs & monaro's they were all manuals...

So yeh, i'm learning manual with an instructor, getting manual license, then when i get my ute, just a bit more practice in her an she'll be right :)

Cheers
MaT

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
My car, the family car and both my dad's work utes are all auto...all the grandparents vehicles are auto too (excluding the international truck lol)...we borrowed a ford festiva for a day a few weeks before i got my p's...as much zip as the little thing had i wasn't that interested in learning manual properly...haha and the ony manual i'm around is my mates old hilux and i dont even fit in the drivers seat.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I've got a manual licence. I'm really missing a manual car after having the auto VN for a couple of months now. I still like it a lot,but it's not quite the same.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
a lot of the auto drivers are sayig they can drive a manual.
yes making a car go forward is easy in a manual: rev it and let the clutch out. but what about the harder things? rev matching and gear selection plus a heap of other things make "driving" a manual much harder.
also if you think you are a smooth manual driver and then jump on a bike, big differnce.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
whats an auto licence? Mat, I'm sure they all have amanual licences because it just makes sense and thats all that was available.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
garfa said:
a lot of the auto drivers are sayig they can drive a manual.
yes making a car go forward is easy in a manual: rev it and let the clutch out. but what about the harder things? rev matching and gear selection plus a heap of other things make "driving" a manual much harder.
also if you think you are a smooth manual driver and then jump on a bike, big differnce.
They're things that you pick up after driving for 30 minutes in rigorous conditions.

Rev matching, gear selection etc were the easy things. I intuitively did all of them.

The hardest part of driving a manual was hillstarts and mastery of the clutch. After a day or two of driving a manual about, you learn all that..

I traded my car for my mates manual for a week. What you mentioned above is not hard to learn..

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
mate you might just be a bit of an exception but rev matching well and very quickly on downshifts is NOT easy. if you think it is then you dont know what i mean at all.
hill starts and the take up point on a clutch is the easy part of learning a manual.

Streetvision

Scar-Non
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VP Commodore
All we had were automatics. so thats what i learnt in, but my job requires me to drive a manual so i have to get that restriction taken off

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
well in sa it doesnt matter lol i learnt in a auto and a manual we only have 2 manuals out of like 6 vehicles and they where work cars a 4wd and a truck so i learnt in the 4wd