Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual or Auto?

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
As the title suggests, for all you ve owners which do you prefer/would you buy? im looking at manuals but the prices are up there and can pick up a 6 speed auto a bit cheaper. This is in the ss/ssv sedans..i know the manual would be more fun to drive and im thinking of just sticking to looking for a manual but does the auto really rob that much power?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Manual is much more rewarding to drive.

I wasn't a fan of the 6spd auto. Only drove it briefly felt like a TH700 with an extra two gears to me.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
To be honest, both gearboxes are relatively average. But as Soop said, the manual is much more rewarding. You're more involved with the car and any kind of connection between driver and car in a modern car is a rare thing. I'd be taking the stick! Actually, I did!

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I enjoy driving the 6spd tiptronic in manual mode but prolly would of gone a manual if it was only me driving it.

Last edited:

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
Got a manual and I'm not regretting it, depends what you can afford though mate... The auto is still a v8 Holden, and as said above you can use tiptronic although it's still not quite the same lol

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Manual is much more rewarding to drive.

I wasn't a fan of the 6spd auto. Only drove it briefly felt like a TH700 with an extra two gears to me.

Having done more KM in VE's than most, I think I'm qualified to comment. I'd have to say the auto is an acquired taste. Most will find it weird to begin with however with time it is actually pretty good. Of course I'd prefer a (insert cheesy american accent here) "stick" but for moderate to high km - the slusher is light years ahead of the old 4 speed.

Reaper