Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual or Auto?

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Just a query, myself and a guy at work are debating as to which is more economical.. Auto or Manual?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Manual, My VN SS which has had quite alot of work done is still better on fuel then my LS1 VT

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
minux said:
Manual, My VN SS which has had quite alot of work done is still better on fuel then my LS1 VT

Thats not really a fair comparison, they are too entirely different motors. I am not sure about the answer but I would imagine it would have a bit to do with your driving style eg. when you shift gears etc.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Maybe so, but people i know with the M6 seemingly have better economy

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Experience with Both.

I have driven various models of Commodore V6's, both Auto and Manual, over the same trips.

I have found that the manual seeems significantly more economical around town, and slightly better on the open road. My experience, based on the way I drive, is the manual is about 15% more economical around town, and 5 - 10% on the highway.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
i wonder if a shift kit would change that (less "clutching") even during normal driving

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Everything I've heard up until very recently with some very new auto gearboxes is that manuals are more economical.

But manuals will always be much much cooler than autos ;). The full economy is just icing on the cake!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
A manual VN V8 has potential to use less fuel on the highway than an VN auto V6.
I'm not in the new car market but if I was I would never buy an Auto, not just because they are heaps better cars but also to get rid of all the crapy Autos on the used car market, there should be a ban on automatics if you live outside a capital city : ) or a pollution tax on autos for using more fuel :D so no one buys them anymore. :( my car would be so much nicer to drive if it didn't have an auto :( :(

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
i love my auto, especially when the guy beside u misses a gear ;)

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Ahh, I was quite surprised actually. I wouldhave thought the Auto (in Drive gear) would have been more economical, as the gearbox changes the gear at the most appropriate time no matter how hard the car is being driven, where Manual transmission it's driver preference.

Oh well.. learn something new everyday!